What would happen if I go 2 shades lighter?

I usually go dark brown but here lately my dh says I should go lighter only bc he thinks if I go lighter you can't see my grey growing...lol he really wants me to go even lighter (like blonde) yeah right...But I would go a tad light. So instead of buying the dark brown and I buy 2 shades lighter do you think there won't be any harm?
I have been dyeing my own hair all this time. Like every 3 to 4 weeks. thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• 2 shades lighter and you should be fine but if your hair is still colored from another dye you need to stay within the same tone. Like if your last dye kit said "golden" find another golden hue, if it was an "ash" get another ash. That way you will have less of a chance of getting a weird result and the color will come out truer to what is intended.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Being a hair stylist...the rule is to stay 2 shades darker or 2 shades lighter. So 2 shades darker would be fine, but Rhianna gives good advice. stay within the same hue...like if its blonde,brown,red etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I heard a hair color jingle a few days ago. It goes something like this-

Two shades up,
    Two shades down,
    makes hair look good
    all around.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:04 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• if you've been using permanent color, when you apply a lighter shade on your hair, it will not lighten the previously-colored hair. your new-growth will be colored more to your desire, but color will not lighten color!
    you'll need to lighten the darker-colored hair, in order to achieve an overall lighter look. be it with a total lightening, highlighting, whatever.
    just so ya know.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2010