going from bottle to cup? and getting her to drink her milk?

after ava turned 1 and even before then i looked up information on switching from bottles to sippy cups and feeding her milk but i would much rather have other mom's perspectives. she every now and then will drink out of her sippy cup and eventhough she has 4 sippy cups she will only drink from 1 of them and sometimes she will refuse to drink her milk even when i try mixing it with a little bit of formula to help her get used to it i even tried putting a mixture of milk and formula in a sippy cup and she just threw it on the floor. i'm desperate for any advice to help me. i just want to make sure she atleast drinks from her sippy cup so she can let go of her bottles even though it makes me sad to see her grow up i know she has to. so any advice?

avasmommie711

Asked by avasmommie711 at 2:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I am in the same situation with my DS he drink juice and water in his sippy cup he refuses to drink milk on it. I just keep trying GOOD LUCK!!!
    Lizygoinghooray

Answer by Lizygoinghooray at 3:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Make the bottle disappear for the day time then before bed give her milk cup have her drink that then lay her down for the night. Once she sees that the cup is the only thing she has to get a drink she will start drinking out of it more and more. Mixing milk and forumla is a bad idea. (That's what my DD Doctor told me) the one cup she drinks out of once and while go to the store and buy more of the same cups those are the ones that she likes best. My DD is the same way there's one cup she loves and I went and bought more the minute I realized that that was the only one she liked. GL it will take some time but it's all part of growing up :~(
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Children don't need to drink cow's milk after they turn 12 mo. Formula is modified cow's milk for babies that aren't breastfed so they can survive the first year and then switch to all solids. Cow's milk is for cows. You can get rid of bottles and formula at the same time and your toddler can drink water from a sippy cup, cup with a straw, open cup or even from a bottle. The max. juice they should have is 4 oz a day in an open cup.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Is the issue drinking from a sippy cup or switching from formula to cows milk?  If it is the sippy cup then persevere.  If it is cows milk then then gradually tip the balance.  I started off by replaceing 1 ounce with cows milk, then every few days I would replace another ounce until she was drinking cows milk with only 1 ounce of formula and then finally all cows milk and she never kinew what hit her.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Skip the milk, and just give her water Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2010