educational shows?

i don't really like the thought of my daughter watching a lot of tv but when she does i atleast want it to be good for her if thats at all possible. i know nick jr is supposed to be educational and i do know my daughter loves handy many and mickey mouse but i want to know she's atleast going to learn something from what she watches when she does watch tv i've been playing with her with her new say please tea set and teaching her shapes and sign language but i'm wondering about other forms of education visual and anything else i can show her. any ideas?

avasmommie711

Asked by avasmommie711 at 4:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A one year old shouldn't be watching any TV.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When my girls were 2 or 3 years old, I let them start watching just a little bit of TV. I stuck with PBS--Clifford, Sesame Street, etc. I find most of the stuff on Nick Jr. to be pretty brainless. Not that PBS will guarantee your kid will be a rocket scientist, but I find most of those shows have either really good moral or educational information and lessons.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I like WordWorld because it sounds out letters and words and shows how the words are put together. Superwhy is another show I though was better to watch as well as Sesame Street. There is a little more education to them than Mickey and Manny.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• DD is a PBS kid. It is helpful when trying to cook dinner - especially if it's a meal where she can't "help". She does like Caillou - but he is a bit whiny. Curious George and Suer Why are ones she likes that I think are teaching her something. She is pretty bright and can count and say her ABC's she is starting to recognize her letters now. She also goes to an in home daycare with a little girl who is a bit older, so she has been learning with her. But I recommend PBS, and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. We all need a little break sometimes and music and TV can help. As with anything in life maderation is good.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 8:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When we watch TV it's only PBS... I think they have the best children's shows and nothing dumb like Sponge Bob and stuff like that on there. Right now he likes Sesame Street... but for a while he really liked Super Why
    My son also LOVES the Classical Baby series by HBO... we have the Dance and Poetry one... they are WONDERFUL! They are only 30 mins long... beautiful art work and music... he and I snuggle and watch one of these before nap time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think that Mickey Mouse and a lot of shows on playhouse disney are educational. They may not be all about letters and numbers but they teach them to use their brains. Theres a lot worse things they could be watching like Sponge Bob... whats that show suppose to teach anways? Its dumb to me. My 4 year old likes many shows on playhouse disney and my 16 month old really enjoys sesame street... he absolutely adores Elmo. Most children tv shows are good.... in moderation.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Word world, and Signing time are good shows
    TheJs

Answer by TheJs at 10:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yo Gabba Gabba, Elmo's World & Barney..those are mine & my husband's favorites for our daughter. They are her absolute favorite too :]
    babygomez

Answer by babygomez at 1:47 AM on Jul. 25, 2010