What do you think about having a gun in your home & expecting a child

and not keeping it in a safe? but in a drawer that is easily accessible?

and when asked if you will get a safe, the parent responds with a ::Shrug::

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• well now days i think everyone that is responsible should have a gun, and keeping it in a draw where it is easily accessible is not responsible, the world is crazy , aslo if it is a baby they have then i mean it might be ok until the baby is mobil and can get around, then it would be really unsafe...
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 5:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I dont like the idea of having a gun in the house period. However i understand there can be some reasons why one would want to have one. So if you have reasons and its legal then i believe the gun should most def be away from kids view and reach. A safe is good. I dont think putting it in a draw would be good. Kids tend to mess around and if you arent watching may decide to see whats in mommy and daddy draw one day and may sadly reach the gun. And all hell can break loose. So i say if your gonna have a gun in the house put it far up and dont let child even know its in the house.
    Tryin4GodsAngel

Answer by Tryin4GodsAngel at 5:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• While the baby is very young, it should not be a problem. But when the child starts getting around and getting into things. I would want it put up and locked up. If this person is your DH/SO. He needs to lock it up, or you go and lock it up. But if it is some you are staying with or a room mate. You can not do much about them putting it up.

Answer by louise2 at 5:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i have never understood the concept of owning a gun....and honestly would never live where there was one....or even in a place where they are allowed in homes or personal possession on the street. I know I'm going to get yipped at for saying so, lol, but I just don't get it at all. (yes, I'm canadian, and when talking about gun issues, i'm very proud to be)...I feel terrible that you have this concern....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I do NOT have this concern.

I would never EVER own a gun in my home with my children.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:44 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think you have a controlling, selfish, and insecure male in your home. He needs to leave and take (his?) gun with him. NOW
    If you are preg. and it's still not changed I'd report this. I am never going to change. I have reasons for wanting my own home
    the way I feel is comfortable, and that wouldn't be one of them.
    Call children's services or if you can get yourself out move someplace 100 % gun-free
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:49 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• COFFEEYUM

im with a man that would NEVER do this. I'm talking about someone else.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:54 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• NO! NO!
    If you have a GUN,You must have a locking safe. It does not matter if there are kids or babies in the home or not. If a child was to visit even briefly,you should have one. It's just logic.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Honestly if the child isn't born don't you think your being premature. I thought a lot of things before I had kids that are very different now that I have kids. So honestly I think you need to check yourself. You are prejudging some on unfairly I might add. Plus you said it was a shrug. Last I checked that was an unsure response. Meaning they are probably still thinking. Also do you know what kind of gun it is. Cause I had a gun that my kids couldn't even shoot if they wanted to. Shit no one can unless they are familiar with the model. As well I did not have it in a safe. I had it in the cupboard above my fridge which was properly locked. However funny thing is I taught my kids about guns, so guess what when dh had it out and was cleaning it the kids never went near because they knew it could kill them. I also grew up with guns easily accessible, I was taught not to touch them and why. I never did.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:08 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It boils down to proper teaching. Most gun accidents that happen with kids. Happen with kids that are not taught about guns or gun safety. My kids aren't even aloud to point toy guns, and are very safe with them. I taught them the same things I learned that guns, are dangerous and to always be treated as it is loaded. I also have taken my oldest to a shooting range and showed her what a gun can do. The same way I was shown. You ask her about guns she will tell you they are not for kids, can kill you, and are dangerous. She even yells at her friends for pointing toy guns. This like every thing else boils down to what is taught. By the way my oldest is 5 and was introduce to this subject at 3 as was my 3 yr old, as will my 1yr old. So I don't worry about this issue with my kids because it isn't one. So I suggest you don't prejudge people, it really is a silly thing to do.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2010