how do i deal w my 12yr olds attitude

every time i ask him to do anything, he acts like its the worse thing ive ever done to him!

charlie282

Asked by charlie282 at 7:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Every tine he act that way. Take his favorite things away from him. He will stop acting that way. Or do not let him do things he likes to do.

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• TRY hard to ignore the attitude. If you react, it's positive reinforcement. I assume he is doing what you ask, and just giving you attitude about it. Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:26 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Here's what I think (and I don't have a child that old yet but for what it's worth--)

Get some kind of chore list, schedule, check-list for him. Include stuff that you excpect daily. maybe
    Make your bed (explain when you show him the list what this means- what you expect)
    Brush teeth (explain, put away the toothpaste this way, and so on in order to get credit)
    and put on a couple chores maybe for trash day (friday- put big trash cans out by this time)

Then sit back and if he forgets the trash, let it SIT. then the next week, have someone else (a neighbor the same age, or a younger sibling) do it instead for your son's part of his allowance. Maybe seeing someone else take part of his money would wake him up. but in life we ALL make mistakes, and we're only trying to teach our kids how to keep trask of things. a list is a good habit.

It doesn't make you the bad guy anymore. You don't have to nag :)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Two books: AGE OF OPPORTUNITY by Paul Tripp and HAVE A NEW KID BY FRIDAY by Kevin Leman. Both excellent books for parenting. In the meantime, tell him once. If he does not immediately obey, then you discipline him in some way. You either take away something you have provided for him(cell phone, game system, etc.) or when he asks you if he can do something or go somewhere, you say "no" and you explain it in terms of the latest act of non-compliance with your requests.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It's an age thing. I have a 17, 16 and 11. JMO, as long as they are still doing it then I try not to make a big issues out of it. It's when they throw up the attitude and argue about doing it that I simply say, "you know your chores, get them done." Arguing is punishable but whining is not worth the fight. They will start to out grow it, promise.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2010