Oh boy am I in the middle now!!! What should I do?

My mother is a germ o phobe...to the point where we have wondered if she is really OCD, not severe, but mildly OCD. She really LOVES my kids and always "teaches" them about being clean. She went on vacation with us this week and my son started doing some of the neurotic things she does....like you cant touch the faucet, and you cant touch the doors and dont pick the napkin up and wipe your mouth with it after its been on the table....ect....

I KNOW these are cleaner ways to do things, I like to be clean too, but I dont want her to push him into being neurotic about them...over the top.

My dh is ticked, wants me to talk to her about it, I KNOW this will not change her, its like she cant help it sort of.

I talked to my son who is 7 about how Nae Nae goes too far sometimes and he doesnt have to be soooo worried about germs all the time....

Now dh wants me to talk to my mom, I know this will be WW3...

UGGGGGGG!!!!!

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 8:09 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• good luck
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 8:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Why don't you wait a few days and give everyone a while to settle down. Your son may have only been imitated her because you all were with her so much while on vacation. It could just be a temporary thing that he is doing the same things. If he stops, all will be well. If it keeps up, then you may have to talk to her, but I would give it a little time and just be watchful.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would just tell my mom to not push things like that on my kids. She obviously didn't force YOU to do things like that... so why should she be "teaching" things like that to her grandchildren.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Be honest. Tell him the truth, that some germs are not harmful, some are actually Helpful (talk about the yeast in bread, or yogurt live cultures) but how Grandma feels and worries. And when he is with her, he can keep in mind, she is trying to teach him the best she feels is right, but that you and Daddy feel he will be ok to do things your way, because God made dirt, and dirt won't hurt LOL
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:53 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I don't understand germophobes. It takes so much energy. Being clean is one thing but this is going overboard. With your son, you are around him all the time so I think that you can counter act what your mother did on vacation. Let him know that there are ways to be clean but Grandma goes a little over the top. He'll be OK. As for your mom, IDK, when it's an obsession it's hard to talk to someone about it. Maybe you can tell her that she is making the kids scared of normal kid things and it's making them obsessive . IDK, Good Luck!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My mom's mom is THE worst! OCD all the way, okay maybe im being dramatic. But shes the same way. And it rubbed off on my mom. Theres nothing you can do about your mom, but ask her to not push her views or ways on your kid. Either way shes going to be offended. But honestly i would tell hubby, to deal with it. The best solution is what you did, talk to your son about how grandma is a little different and likes things very specific, but its okay to be relaxed in the way you do things! I dont see myself really causing a war with my mom over hubbys request. And i would never ask him to do such!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2010