How do you get you stepchildren to help out around the house?

Every summer my stepdaughter (16) comes with us for 1 month. I cook , I clean, do laundry, clean the pool, you name I do it. She even avoids things so that she want be asked to do anything. example: when we are done eating she will go lock herself in the bathroom. I try hard to teach my 7 year old responsibility, when she sees her ( stepdaughter) not doing anything she follows along. My husband seems to be blind. I try not to start an argument , don't want any problems. The room that she shares with my daughter is a mess. I am so frustrated.

educatedmama

Asked by educatedmama at 8:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Is she throwing up in the bathroom? Ask her to clean up after herself, but honestly I don't see the point in trying to force chores on her if she's only staying a month.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Mom, I agree 100%. You know this may be a vacation for her. Even though she is your SD she is still like a guest in your home. She's there for one month let her relax. Oh yeah and make sure she isn't making herself throw up like mom said!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I understand that she is on vacation, but I truly believe that you do clean up after yourself. I don't take shower after shower in a dirty bathtub. should I have to go in the bathroom
    That only she uses to clean it up?
    educatedmama

Comment by educatedmama (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• She's only there for 1 month i mean really give the kid a break. I hated when my step mom gave me chores the one month I was there. IT built a biiig rif between us because I knew my dad would clean up after me and it was her. You maybe your childs parent but a step mom is really suppossed to be a friends. Especailly to a girl!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• She would be required to clean up after herself. Leave the mess til she returns....no priveleges til chores are done....same rules would apply for all the other kids in the house.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 9:15 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• sem, even for one month? Really? I think that is a bit much!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'm not trying to force her to do anything. It's not like we just met. I have known her for 14 years. We have a great relationship . I had a terrible step mom and I try not to repeat that cycle. I also feel that we have all had our vacation for the summer we packed our bags and went away from the house. I think that all young adults should learn no matter were you are or when, we should take care of our personal space.
    educatedmama

Comment by educatedmama (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• eductaed, sit her downa nd tell her that. Exactly what you told me! That sounds like it will work!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Good question. My step-kids absultely don't help out and when their dad asks them to do something, they whine and complain.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• To those of you who say the stepchild shouldnt be made to do anything because he/she is "on vacation"... Do you also have month long "vacations" for your bio children where they aren't made to do any chores?
    ToraMay

Answer by ToraMay at 8:45 AM on Jul. 26, 2010