Have you felt rejected by your church? For Christians with a sincere heart

I struggle with this.I put others up on pedistills because I feel insecure about myself.They don't say Hi to me,they don't acknowledge me and this hurts my feelings.I'm trying to make church a place to learn about God instead of trying to fit in with everybody.When I do this,I will always be let down.Some people will be my friends and some will not.I need to accept this and not let it affect my relationship with the church.

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 1:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• You said "I put others up on pedestals.... When I do this,I will always be let down. " and there IS your answer. Work on your relationship with Him and let Him work on your relationships with others. Jesus was rejected, and you my dear, are the very reason that He died, to free you of the burden of having to accept rejection and let it make you stumble. When Satan creeps in and makes you entertain those thoughts about not wanting to be rejected by your fellow man, and  those other insecure thoughts; you are denying the Father of the experience of blessing your relationships. You have the authority given to you by God, to speak to the 'spirit' of rejection and make it flee from you. Will it still happen again? Absolutely; especially when Satan knows that rejection is what makes you vulnerable. Satan will use whatever tool he can to keep you from becoming a tool for God.

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Honestly I have gone to the exact same church for 23 years now. I only know the people that sit around me which is about five. It's a really big church though. It bothers me that I only know a handful of people at some place that I have been attending my whole life. I wouldn't let it bother you though. Alot of people these days just go to make an "appearance". I would go and learn about God and talk to your friends. If you aren't constantly worried than you might make more friends that way.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 1:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I've felt this way before too. There are definately clicks in my church now. One key is to get involved. Find a niche. Volunteer. I'm not Amish, but some years ago after church hopping for months, I drove past an Amish church that had this written on it's sign..."if your church were perfect, you wouldn't be a member." This got me to stop nit picking about things I disliked. Humans are perfect so a church can't be perfect. Go for God. Praise Him, it'll work out!
    YipeeLeah

Answer by YipeeLeah at 1:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Not my own church, but I have felt this way at a neighboring church, and even a few that I have visited. I went to a HUGE local church (which I feel is more about money than anything) and had NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON say hello. It was a terrible feeling. Good grief, I can go to the mall and have 50 people say hello, but not at that church?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You have to be strong emotionally when you go to church.You have to have confidence in yourself and build up your self esteem before you get involved and volunteer because you will encounter Christians there who are weak just like you and they can bring you down.The ones who are causing divisions in the church are weak Christians.They are compromisers.They want the adoration of men,so they will be hurtful so that they can gain other people's approval.We think of these people as strong and powerful in the church but they are not.They are hiding behind their accomplishments,that's where they get their self esteem and helping out in the church does that for them too.It's time to recognize these people as weak in their faith, baby Christians lacking wisdom from God,though they appear great in the eyes of men,they are nothing to God.God resist's the proud but gives grace to the humble.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 2:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Clicks in the church is compromising.They know they shouldn't do it but they do it anyways.The Bible is very clear how we are to treat others in the church.We are to serve others and not seek our own agendas.This cold shoulder feeling you get in the church is from the works of the flesh and the devil.Christians are using church as a social club instead of living out what the Bible says.The Bible says we are to love others as ourselves,that we should go out of our way to make others feel at home in our church,instead of going along with these selfish worldly acts.A little leven,leavens out the whole lump.Clicks in the church are like a wild fire.They are unstoppable.The way to get around them is to identify them as weak Christians who compromise and to make sure you don't.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 4:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Countingsparrows - you said "who are weak just like you... The ones who are causing divisions in the church are weak Christians". I sincerely hope you didn't mean it like that, because you are saying that the poster is the one (or one of the ones) causing the problem. Or that's what I read. If you didn't mean it like that then please clarify. I hope I read it wrong.
    You also said "You have to have confidence in yourself and build up your self esteem before you get involved and volunteer"....... the point of going to church is to build you up; along with your prayer life, and your relationship with God, there is your church family, and going strictly by what you said, then I'm hearing you say that she isn't a strong enough person to work for God....? Yes God gives grace to the humble, but he also is strongest in us when we are weak.... It is in our weakness that he works his greatest works in us....
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Now on the other hand, I agree with your second post.... I just think you worded some things wrong in the first.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• This post is about me and my experiences with other Christians.I call myself weak because I struggle with the approval of others,just like these other weak Christians.We are both weak.When I volunteered I wasn't emotionally healthy and it caused me to stop serving in the church because I wasn't able to handle the critsism.That's why I'm warning others to be careful,so this doesn't happen to them.It's easy to go to church on Sunday but once you start to get more intimate with your church,you will notice alot of different personalities.Some you get along with ,others that you don't.This is where clicks come in.We are all different,so to expect to hang out with someone just because they are a Christian isn't the agenda anymore.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 6:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008