Atheists/Agnostics

Was there any ONE person or thing that helped you form the beliefs that you have? Do you feel as if your beliefs were always a part of you, it was only a matter of you growing into them?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just never fell for the bull that religion was spewing out. Too many rules that made no sense,too much censorship.I found my own path to spirituality.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It was a lot of research and looking within my own heart that helped drag me out of the dogma black hole and into reality.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I always credit my atheism to my parents. They decided to raise my sisters and I without religion, which I think was the best parenting decision they ever made. I am so grateful to them for that. (FYI my mother is Catholic and my father is atheist.) It's not that we were forbidden from talking about religion or going to church, it's just that they felt there was no need to force us to learn, or go to church. I went to several different churches, with friends, while I was growing up, and it allowed me to see what it was like, and compare my experiences, and form my own beliefs about the world.

I think I was always an atheist, even at a very young age. Looking as far back as I can, I remember an occasion when I went to church with my friend, I was about 8 years old, and I just couldn't believe that people took this stuff so seriously. I mean they couldn't actually believe all this, right? Cont....
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• And through out my childhood I would talk to my sisters and friends about what they felt, and what they believed, and we would have open and honest discussions, rather than preaching and memorization. For a long time I called myself Agnostic, just to avoid the negative stigma associated with atheists. Eventually I grew up, and decided to own my atheism.

Out of my parents 4 daughters, 3 are atheists today. The fourth believes in god, but not religion.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I like how you put it in the last part of your question. I think my non-belief was always a part of me. I just didn't know it - and wasn't thinking for myself. When I got out from under the influence of my family - I grew into myself and my own mind. I think I really realized I didn't believe about 10 years ago. But I didn't tell people until a couple of years ago for fear of being shunned. But people - especially my parents - seem to just ignore it. I think they think it's a "phase."
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I was raised without religion so I was spared indoctrination.  Education and knowledge were valued in my parents home, but  I credit my father most of all for my atheism.  I remember when I was about 7, I asked my father a typical kid question.  If the sun is a big ball of fire, could we put it out with all the water we have on Earth?  My dad went to his bookcase, pulled out a book about meteorology, opened it up to the chapter about the sun and then handed it to me.  I still clearly remember the awe I felt when I looked at the picture of the sun with a tiny black dot in the middle of it and the caption said the black dot was the size of Earth in comparison.  Not only did that answer my question but I was hooked on science.   Ever since then, the more I learn, the more blatantly absurd the notion of a god is to me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:05 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I am an agnostic now. I was raised Catholic. I came to question the existence of God , probably in my 30's, because there are just so many questions. Agnostic questions the existence of God; atheist believes there is no God. I hope there is a God so there is something more after this world, but there may not be. A question that, really in my opinion, will never be answered.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• For me- it was a combination of things I think. First my parents- taking us to church at least 3 times a week -that was fine when I was a kid, but as I got older it just did nothing for me really...then I took a mythology class in high school, I remember my dad thinking it was a horrible thing. That was really where I realised that people had believed OTHER things (you would think I had been aware before that but to be honest, I really didn't) after that, I was still taken to church and even bribed to go, my parents fought really hard to keep me in the church and to make me love God...That went on until my 20's...when I finally moved out for good, I was with my (now) hubby who is a pretty hardore athiest. I just realised the more I was around him that religion was honestly NOT for me. My mom and her new husband (my real dad died) pray for me every day and keep hoping I will snap out of it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• No and No.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I grew into mine. I was very religious as a teen, but once I got through college and outgrew a lot of my insecurities, I slowly became more and more agnostic. In my early 30s my brother began testifying his fundamentalist beliefs to all the family, and the more I listened, the more I realized I didn't believe the stories anymore.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010