Not finding out the sex. How did you do it??!!

We are expecting our 3rd (and final) baby. We have a girl and a boy already, and when we were trying to conceive we decided that we would not find out the sex of the baby and make this one a fun surprise since it will be our last one. Well that idea was basically thrown out the window the day that I found out I was actually pregnant LOL I have this strong urge to know NOW so that I can prepare and buy gender friendly things. But in the back of my mind I still think that it would be SO neat to not know. If you have ever not found out the sex of your baby, how the heck did you do it? It must take alot of self control! Wouldn't it actually be more expensive for you to be neutral colors now, and then want to run out and buy blues and pinks later on after baby arrives? I am still very early in my pregnancy so I have some time to think this out. Shared your stories with me =)

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have 4 kids and did not find out the sex with any of them.
    It is hard, but after you accept that you aren't finding out, you really don't think about it.
    And it really makes it much more exciting for you and everyone around (especially when everyone is on pins and needles dying to find out what you had).

I would suggest having the ultrasound tech write the sex in an envelope and seal it. Then give it to a trustworthy friend who won't look. If you really want to know, you can ask her to give it to you, but maybe she can give you reasons why you SHOULDN'T look.

My opinion is that you will know the sex of your child for the remainder of their life. Why not wait the 9 months to find out? And you already have one of each, and probably more clothes than you need for the new baby.

On a selfish note, I think you get more gifts when you don't find out the sex. :)
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 4:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Lol! I could never go through pregnancy not knowing, it's driving me nuts now considering in 2 weeks we get the ultrasound done and hopefully the baby will show us if it will be a boy or girl. That way I can start shopping and preparing for his or hers arrival. Also the shopping gets my mind off all the negativity of the pregnancy, especially having to deal with 24/7 morning sickness.
    I just can't wait!
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i tried to, but she was not showing us her privates. So, i really didn't know until she was born. But, i KNEW i was having a girl intuitively.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• We did it with our third. We had a boy and a girl and we wanted to be surprised. It was hard, but we made the decision and stuck to it. We already had everything we needed. The best thing was when the baby was born and my husband was so excited - he said, "It's a boy! It's a boy! It's a BEN!"
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I did not know (nor did I want to) with my first - the sex didn't really matter to me so I found it quite easy. I felt I was having a girl and my doctors hinted at a girl based on heart rate and how I was carrying ... but it was a beautiful boy.

I did find out about my second BUT that was only because my water broke at 6 months and she was in distress and had to be delivered 3 months early and the docs wanted to know the sex because girls typically do better in preemie situations - I really had no choice as I was at the mercy of the medical staff at that point. After going through that scare, it really didn't matter to me what the sex was ... I just wanted a healthy child.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i'm 26 weeks right now. we decided this time not to find out the sex. i'm a pretty patient person so it's not that hard for me. we have names picked out for both and we have been getting things that are gender neutral. we have a dd already and would love a boy, but will be happy either way!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i am pregnant and cant wait to find out the sex... but everyone wants me to wait... ahhh
    Ashlei_nichole9

Answer by Ashlei_nichole9 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• With my pregnancies I never had any ultrasounds, so that makes it much easier!!
    ;-)

IF I were to choose to have an u/s then I might have asked.

Colors and themes were unimportant, I was having a BABY!!!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• We are having our First. & hubby wants the sex to be a suprise so we just told everyone that if they want to get stuff they have to do neutral stuff :)
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 2:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010