My doughter is now 19, how do I reconnect with her?

My daughter is my only daughter and my youngest child (I have two sons, 32 and 27), and since she went off to college last summer shes changed. It's like we( her father, brothers, and myself) are interlopers in her life. She feels as if we don't need to know much of anything going on in her life. God forbid that we should ask and if she chooses to tell us, we are always the last to know.

debnich501960

Asked by debnich501960 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Send her a letter or email asking very specific questions. If you can find something she is interested in or needs, maybe you can find a way into her life. If she talks about her roomate and her planning to do something to the room, you can help. If she talks about a special class, maybe you can find out what makes it special. Pray for her and about this, often, too.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:30 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Keep climbing those walls put up by her, that is what I did, and eventually got through, I have a son who is like that, but I am persistent!!!

Answer by older at 10:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Can you still do things together like getting a manicure, shopping? Find some common interests and stay connected in some way. My dh's dad wrote letters to his sons while they were in college. He wrote them on a regular basis whether the boys answered or not. Those letters are treasures. He talked about things the family was doing but also about how proud he was of the boys and would always mention something they could do together when he visited campus. The letters were not long, but kept them connected. Just ideas.............I wish you the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Love her! I have read your other post and you seem like such a wonderful himan being really! Any child would be blessed to have a mom like you. Be strong and help her overcome whatever it is she is going through. You don't always have to know things in order to help. Make sure she knows you are always there for her day or night! And like I said just love her.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• She and I do go get our nails done, go shopping, and other things. She's on summer break right now and most of the time she's not even here. She actually sleeps in her bed 1 or 2 nights a week. She usually stays with her college dorm mate ( whom we've know she they sat together in kindergarten together) or with another friend they met in college that lives here in the city. We mainly see her coming or going except for when we do spend the occasional afternoon together which is about once a month or when she can find the time.
    debnich501960

Comment by debnich501960 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2010