What is the correct way to stop taking birth control pills?

Do I stop just before the last week of pills or do I take the last week's (the orange ones) as well and then stop when the pack is empty?

limitedtime

Asked by limitedtime at 9:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Health

• I never take the placebo pills. So I would just stop when you take the last active pill. You could even stop now - of course that means you're period will come sooner. There really isn't any correct way.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• You just take the active pills until they are finished, then after your period, you just don;t start a new pack. The different colored pills are placebos, their only purpose is to keep you on your daily schedule of taking a pill, and not forgetting, as well as a reminder to make sure you have a new pack, if you intend on continuing.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I HAD to quit taking mine in 1995. I just took the last active pill and threw away the package and the refill information. No real big deal.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 12:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2010