• In the Spotlight:

Does your DH/SO work or travel to a dangerous city?

My DH is planning on becoming a truck driver. It will be the same company he works for now. We live in a small safe town. He would have to travel to some big cities. Some are very dangerous. When we first started talking about it we didn't even think about the danger of him being shot or robbed. His boss brought it up yesterday. Now I am worried. He has told me that other drivers have been robbed. One driver knocked the guy out who attempted to rob him. It is not an everyday occurance but it does happen. They are carrying thousand of dollars worth of merchandise.So while it would help us very much having the extra income, I don't want him getting hurt or killed just for more money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• IF I were him I would apply for a concealed (gun) carry permit! There are only 2 states that CCP's are prohibited--Illinois and New York. But I don't know if that law applies to truck drivers "just passing through" and not residing in those states. Your husband should ask his boss about what driver's are allowed to do for self protection, and in cases of armed robbery. Would he be personally responsible, or is the loss written off the company's projected loss and prevention (L & P) expenses-either the trucking company or the destination company)?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i agree with Lori
    my DH is the Army so he travels to dangerouse countries and cities over there.. but obviously he has a gun to protect hmself.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That's scary.
    My DH was in the Air Force , was a navigator in fighter jets, and faced death eveytime he flew during his year long tour in SE ASia. And of course he flew everyday when he was stationed at bases all over the USA and Germany. Many friends of ours died in crashes,too, as he could have ,The risks are there it seems ,no matter what kind of job. He did this for 21 years! I was tense ...a lot. But you just prepare and pray.Good luck to your DH.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• my stepdad's brother was shot and killed in a gated community. i grew up in a small quiet town where a teen girl was murdered by her boyfriend. bad shit happens all over the place. also, about 8 years ago i went from being in a high-paying corporate job to going back to school and delivering pizza on the side. i am petite and delivered until 2 am in some pretty rough, drug-infested areas. there were a couple drivers at my store who were attacked. one time in broad daylight i was threatened but not attacked (i accidentally dinged some crackhead's piece of shit car). my grandparents were robbed at gunpoint in their home. people die in car accidents every day. you can't let fear control you. your husband should discuss the situations with his boss and find out what precautions he should take to be as safe as possible, but ultimately know that dangerous people smell fear and prey on that. it's not helpful. don't let it control u
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010