How old is old enough?

my son is about 2 months old i have heard different things about when it is ok to start cereals and juices and pureed fruits and veggies. most have been that i can start them at 2 1/2 months but like i said it has been varied. he is breastfed with some formula supplementing since my milk wont increase for some reason. So when is it ok to start juice and cereal and baby food.

Autumnleaves09

Asked by Autumnleaves09 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i'd ask the pedi. different people say different things. i waited till 1 year.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• The AAP recommends no solids for the first 6 months and no juice until they are 1 yr.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• my daughter wasn't getting full enough at 3 months and if i gave her more formula, she got sick, so i called the DR and he said to go ahead and start cereal and i give her about a tbsp of cereal everyday around noon...it works for us...but just ask your dr at the next appt and they'll let you know
    maddoxsmommy605

Answer by maddoxsmommy605 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• ohh and spoon feed..don't put it in a bottle
    Anonymous

• For cereal and veggies/fruits, I''ve heard to start at 4-6 months (and do each new food one at a time for approx 3-5 days each, to watch for allergies). I'm pretty sure babies tummies just can't handle food well before then. I started cereal for my son at 4 months, and then a week later moved on to try the veggies, then fruits. For the juice, I've heard 6+ months, and only very little (like 2oz diluted with 2oz of water) per day. I'd go with what your pediatrician says.
    parkersmama08

Answer by parkersmama08 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would talk to your ped. I breastfed both of mine exclusivly until 9 months and then only oatmeal cereal until 12 months.
    Have you talked to a lactation consultant about your milk supply? There are many things you can do to increase your supply. I had a problem in the beginning with both of my kids, but took herbal supplements and now have more than enough. My daughter nursed until 15 months and my son is 27 months and still going.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• 4-6 months for cereal 6 months for other foods.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I started baby food at 4 months with a spoon. And my kids are healthy and will eat anything. Just be patient because until she gets the hang of it it will look like she is trying to spit it out. I never did cereal.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Four months for a formula baby. Six months for breastfed.

Longer if there are allergies in the family.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• american pediatrics have suggested that 6 months is the new rule due to allergies. talk to your dr first though. its not ok for every baby.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 3:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2008