15 Months and potty training?

My son has recently started coming to me and letting me know that he has pooped or peed. He will walk up to me and point to his diaper or grab it. This is just awesome in my eyes because my daughter didn't do that until she was almost 2.5 years old. I started attempting to potty train her earlier than that, but she would never tell me when she went. I am wondering if maybe I can atleast introduce the potty to him and let him know that this is where pee and poop goes. Has anyone ever done this so early? I mean he can't even really talk yet. He just has his certain words that he says but he communicates with me in other ways so I know that he understands me to some extent.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go ahead and introduce the ideas you mentioned. See what develops. You already know you have to wait until he is truly ready, but there is no harm in showing him these things now. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• A child of 15 months lacks the proper myelinization of the spinal cord to control bowel and bladder function, which develops at around 18-24 months. However, getting him used to the idea that one goes in the potty is appropriate at this stage, even getting him started would be okay as long as you don't expect him to be mastering the process any time soon.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:18 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I started around that age and had him fully potty trained by 18 months. the only problem is he regressed. I think it is fine to at least start introducing it now and then see how it goes from there. Good luck.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Hi , my daughter is 14 months and is doing the same , so i am going to get a potty and put it in the bathroom and have her go pee when i go pee , or at least sit there . She cannot talk yet so i dont know how its going to work but ill give it a shot.
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 10:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yes yes absolutely! My baby is 10 months old and we haven't used any diapers in a month, just cottong training pants. We aren't 100% accident free yet, but are at about 95%. I follow the techniques of elimination communication since birth but the priciples still apply to older babies. Path to a Diaper free Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thanks for the input =) And trust me I definitely don't expect him to master potty training this early! My daughter will be 4 in January and she still has accidents and is not potty trained at night AT ALL. I just thought it was awesome that he started informing me of his pees and poops.
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My DD has a really big 'I'm pooping' face. So, one day when she squatted in a corner doing her face, I took her to the potty and she went on it instead. I plan to do that until she's ready to potty train on her own, that way she's used to it already. (she's 15 months)
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have twin girls and started potty training them when they were 2 years. I checked out some potty training videos and books from the library and showed them the videos and read them those books. First time when she went pee pee in the potty we made a big deal of it. She was very excited about it and started going in the potty. Her sister also started doing the same. But I think the videos and books helped them to get the idea.
    Vmom79

Answer by Vmom79 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Go for it! One of my twin boys started showing signs around 15 months. We introduced the potty and put him on it at regular intervals, such as first thing in the morning and after meals. A few months later his brother was catching on to the idea too. Don't worry about the communication barrier. Neither of my boys were great verbal communicators until after 2 y/o. We taught them the ASL (American Sign Language) sign for "potty/toilet" and it solved the communication issue. Be prepared for a potential long road of learning. Remember that every child is different and masters the ability at different rates. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Good luck momma & best wishes for successful learning! :o)
    twinnmom222

Answer by twinnmom222 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Teach him some way (the sign for potty or the actual word whichever he'll do) to tell you he needs to go. Start taking him when you think he'll need to go (after drinking or eating) things like that. If he's telling you he's gone potty he's developed enough to start trying. Don't get discouraged if he doesn't catch on right away (or has issues going when he's not at home), sometimes they don't. WIsh you luck!
    TheJs

Answer by TheJs at 10:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010