is it supposed to hurt terribly doing sit ups 2 months after c section, cannot do them

maymummy

Asked by maymummy at 10:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Health

• Eveyone is different. Is your body used to doing them from before? Go slow and do the ones with knees bent first. You'll get there. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Remember than when you get a csection they cut your stomach muscles too, they need to heal, and it shouldn't hurt.

Answer by older at 10:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• it dosent hurt like a sit up , it hurts like my wound would split , ugh . ill stick with walking i think.
    maymummy

Comment by maymummy (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Is this your first c-section? And from what you are describing, it sounds like you are just sore and the muscles are pulling at the incision. And walking is good for two reasons. One, you get exercise. Two, the baby gets time outside, cause if you are just walking, you can take him/her with you.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Um...you got sliced open. Please try to remember that. Your body was opened up and someone STUCK THEIR HANDS INTO YOUR BODY AND REMOVED AN INFANT.
    Yes, stuff's gonna hurt. For a while. My mom was laid up for 6 months, off and on, because she kept opening her cut back up. Even after the stitches and stuff came out, she would exercise or something and it would start to open back up.
    Look, baby belly isn't all that bad...especially 2 months after you had a kid. CHILL OUT.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Instead of sit ups, if this is what you want to do, do a light curl up. Lie on your back, press your lower back to the floor (this is very important), knees bent, feet flat on the floor near your bottom. If you cannot press your back to the floor comfortably, then the exercise ends here and you should work on tilting your pelvis and pressing your back. After a few weeks if this is comfortable, then keep the same position, (back pressed), and lift your head and look at your stomach. It may take a few weeks before your stomach doesn't hurt. Then you can move on to lifting your shoulders as well. Pretend you have an orange tucked under your chin. All of this is just a suggestion to you and would be done at your own risk (disclaimer, because it is all suggestions)

Answer by Bmat at 10:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Every woman heals differently. After my c-section, I didn't feel comfortable with sit-ups or heavy activity for close to 6 months. Listen to your body. Start off slow and gradually work your way back into a normal exercise routine. Walking is a great way of exercising & reducing your stress level.
    twinnmom222

Answer by twinnmom222 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thanks for your input , i wasnt sure cos the doctor said go ahead with excercise. I have 2 kids 12 months apart so that might contribute to the slow heal . I just hate the way i look .
    maymummy

Comment by maymummy (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It sounds like you are not ready for situps. There are other exercises you can do. Even swimming will help tighten your abs. It was hard for me when I was in the navy to come back from maternity leave and have to start getting ready to be for the PFA. They gave us six months after birth to be back in shape/weight standards. Situps are still hard for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010