church

This question may have been asked before---why do you go to church, or feel you need to go to church?

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 10:32 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love going to church because I feel closer to God and more at peace with everything when I leave. Everyone in my congregation is so nice and pleasant. We're like a big family, I love it!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I don't & that's why I don't go!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• we go to be part of a community of like-believers, to worship together in fellowship and song, to gain new enlightenment on scripture, to instill a church-family togetherness for our ds, to be spiritually fed, to follow leadership of scripture (''forsake not the assembly of yourselves'', ''do this in remembrance of me'', etc.). and many other reasons.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:37 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Because it was the way my parent's raised me. I feel like i have to take my children there or I'll be doing them an injustice. It's such an internal struggle. A pain in the ass. I think I have church OCD.
    Clarity_Faith

Answer by Clarity_Faith at 10:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I used to go. I liked being in a community of people who believed what I believed. Then I had a child with autism. He was not violent, but he would hand flap and jump up and down. I was asked not to bring him to church as he was distracting, but please keep bringing him to Sunday School, as they hoped that teacher would quit.
    I've often wondered if they asked the girl's family who had Cerebal Palsey and would yell out strange noises to not bring her to church.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• We don't go to synagogue as often as we would like. We go to teach our children how to pray, how to be closer to our g-d and to build community. The community support was awesome when FIL died last year.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:59 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I enjoy going, I get there early, because I like the feeling of kneeling and praying and knowing that others are praying around me.  I don't think it's necessary to go to church, but it's easy to get so busy that I don't get around to praying like I would like.  For me it feels good  to take a time out of the week and worship with other people.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Because the Church needs us also.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i don't go to church at the moment because it has turned into a bitch fest - everyone wants things done their way - they drove the minister out etc. but when I did it was to commune with like-minded people, to learn, to be inspired, to be of service, to gather with my spiritual family. at the moment i do regularly attend my clan circle - it feeds me spiritually, i learn, i bond with my clan sisters, etc.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Ugh, Figaro, I'm sorry to hear what's going on in your church. I think more people have had their faith damaged by church squabbling than just about anything else.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010