diarrhea in my 4 year old maltese...

I boarded him for 10 days at his vet. Since we have had him back, the lasr 4 days he has had diarrhea. I know he had shots entering the boarding to prevent illness. He is eating and drinking normally. Not sure why this is going on. What do you think?

Iluvmy5

Asked by Iluvmy5 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I have been told it's common for that to happen after boarding. Plain, canned punpkin will help with diarrhea. Just a tablespoon mixed into his food. I fed boiled chicken and rice when it happened to my dogs. Was there a change in his diet when he was boarded?
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Could have picked up a parasite. Or maybe a change in his diet while boarding? I would take him in and have his stool checked for parasites. If clear the Dr. can give meds to stop the diarrhea.

You can give pepto 1ml per pound of body weight. if you can't take him in to try to stop the diarrhea. You can give it every 4-6hrs.

Hope he feels better soon!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:54 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• when my maltipoo had bad diarreah the vet told me to give him cottage cheese...it seemed to work..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree he could have picked up something or they may have fed him the wrong thing. It could also be stress.
    MY typical protocol when a dog has diarrhea, is to fast them for 12 to 24 hours (give water of course) then give 4 small meals a day of rice and boiled chicken or egg. Give a dollop of plain yogurt as well, once a day. Do this for a few days and watch closely to see if stools firm up, if they do, then slowly re-introduce regular food. If stools are not firmed up after a couple of days, take in a stool sample to the vet to be tested.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2010