At what time do u tell them about sex and periods?

Any good tools to tell the girls about puberty? And sex?

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 10:48 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just answer any questions she has when she asks. If she doesn't ask, take her along with you to get your tampons/pads next time. Ask her if she knows what they're for and go from there. Have her tell you what she knows and correct anything that she's mistaken about.
    I don't think any age is too young. They can start learning about their bodies and what they do at a young age. My own girl is 5 and knows more than I did at 16. We've told her about everything (except the fun kinky stuff of course, no need for the 5 year old to know that!). She's known since she was 2 1/2 or 3.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Right now I only have boys, but they have both known about that stuff for some time... They are 3 & 4.
    I plan to do the same with my girl.

As for tools, I didn't use any, but I always loved getting that stuff when I was a kid, so it's worth checking out, although I wouldn't really look just yet, not til she's closer to needing the pads and stuff... There is some great stuff at http://www.dotgirlproducts.com/ - both for YOU and Her!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree with kiwi, this is how I've gone with my 5 year old so far. She walked in on me in the bathroom one day while on my period and I figured that was as good a time as any. LOL Get the talk started while they are young and more curious then embarrassed. I figure this way it will make it easier on both of us down the road when we have more in depth conversations, kwim?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I've had to explain a little already cause gods know the one time they want to be with you is when you are in the bathroom. I haven't over explained just that girls bleed once a month when their bodies change and become ready to have babies etc. And about pads. Sex: as it comes up (and boy does it -- Aladinn and other fairy tales -- why do they kiss ooohhh mommy who kisses?
    I also tell them their birthing story at the very least on their birthday -- so they know where babies come from and they know it takes a man and a woman to make a baby (usually). I figure we'll just keep building on it as app. for their age. When my ds heard about other sexual acts at school, he asked and we discussed.
    I really push the love and responsibility angle -- you gotta have family love and be ready to take care of children to have sex. And even kissing is serious... of course they are 5 and 6... sure it will get more complicated as time
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I answer questions she has,in an age appropriate manner. She was 3 when I was pregnant with her brother, so she asked and I explained where the baby was, etc. Using a Flower analogy. She hasnt really asked since. I will simply pay attention to her and when those changes start happening I will talk her. As far as sex, it depends on how ole she is when we have the body talk. I do not feel my 5-7 year old needs to know about sex. When She hits puberty, definatly. We believe in abstinence and will approch it that way. That sex is a seacred gift meant to be shared between you and your spouse and none else. We will explain the spiritual consequences for choosing to have unmarried sex. HOWEVER!!! I also understand that my children have their own free will. While I know for a fact abstinece education can and does work(more than popular medie would like us to believe) I also feel it is important to teach them how to be safe.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 3:20 PM on Jul. 26, 2010