• In the Spotlight:

How to get my 3 year old boy to use potty on a regular basis?

When my son was about 2 1/2 years old he was using the potty on a regular basis and then all of the sudden he stopped and wouldnt use anymore. So I dropped potty training for a bit and just recently started again. I bought a potty chart where we can put stickers on whenever he uses the big boy potty. The first day he used the potty all day long with no accidents and he was very excited. The following day he used the potty twice and wasnt that intrested anymore. So im wondering how do I keep him intrested in using the big boy potty? He doesnt want to use at all again. Im ready for him to be a big boy so he can start preschool. Any tips or ideas would be great! Thanks.

braxtonsmama07

Asked by braxtonsmama07 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my personal tips are...no pull ups during the day at least. They are too much like a diaper to some kids. My son just one day(he was 3) wanted to not wear diapers. He was excited about picking cool underwear and that was the reward. He had one teeny pee accident when he was sick, and it wasnt more than his undies wet. He just started and did it, and I was lucky.
    keep on it, keep him interested, involve dad(or a trusted guy figure) to show him how BIG guys do it. if he were younger I woud say just leave it be, but at 3, yep stay on it, and also mom, do an answers search(over ont he right) to see what others moms have done. gl hang in there :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:10 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I am one to potty train when they are ready. I actually waited till my son specifically told me, "I want to use big potty." I am not sure...b/c once my son decided. He decides and never look back. Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Are you using pull ups? Does he have accidents? What are you doing when you say he doesn't use the potty? I told my son they didn't make pull ups in a big boy size. I also kinda pressured him because his sister (who is 2 years younger) was going on the potty pretty quickly with no issues. I didn't beat him over the head with it but did make a big deal when she went potty. So he could hear.
    Good luck!
    SuzyQMI

Answer by SuzyQMI at 11:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I was using Pull-ups at first but I've stopped. He now wears big boy underwear and he's been doin great! Im really excited and he's only had 1 accident. I just have to keep reminding him that he needs to go to big boy potty so he doesnt forget and pee his pants. But thanks for all the advice! Everything is goin great so far!!!
    braxtonsmama07

Comment by braxtonsmama07 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Jul. 27, 2010