do you think life would be a lot better if we still had some of the "rules" of the 40's and 50's???

When it wasn't "OK" for a girl to get pregnant and be unmarried, when divorce rates were so much lower.. When kids actually got to grow up with both parents. Sometimes, I just think that the more society changes, the worse it gets...
For example" Ok, I don't love my husband anymore. Don't know why, I just don't" So, instead of working on it, and trying to fall in love again, people take the easy way out and get a divorce.

I am not saying that divorce isn't necessary sometimes, just that things would be a lot better with our kids today, if people would just take the time, and work at it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• this is a great topic! and I completely understand what you mean and I agree-society is waaaay different. I dont think anyone thinks teen preg is ok, and if they do I cant imagine why. Not knockin teen moms at all, I just think it makes life so much harder, kwim?
    But I also think alot of things have changed for the better. We always look back to say"oh it was simpler and better" but each era had their issues and problems. One is lol I couold not be in a dressand gorgeous with dinner ready at five for "daddy" to walk in the door and have a cigar and drink. no way. I am lucky I brushed my hair that hour lol... looking forward to see what others say, so bumpin ya. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:13 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I've said it before, so I'll say it again....I think this country COULD use a healthy dose of the "Leave It to Beaver" or "I Love Lucy" morals and values...as "hokey" as some people want to believe they are!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i love , i love lucy! lol. i wasnt around "back in the day" so i cant reallly say... im only a product of the 80's, late 80's at that.i grew up in the 90's. but from what my parents say back in the day was a lot nicer and better than now.

im a meger house wife who thinks the man should bring home hte bacon and the women stay home barefoot and pregnant. i do the housework while my husband sits on his ass and thats fine.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:21 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• IF it wasn't ok for unmarried teens to be pregnant parents would do more to prevent it.. It really is too bad that our family values are gone. People get married when they don't know each other make kids and split up. We are just in a sad state in America these days.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• NO! I don't. My grandmother grew up in a house where her father raped and beat both his children and his wife. At one point he beat his wife so badly that he had to move her beeding body to the tub so "she didn't have to much of a mess to clean" - and he did that because she was "raising such a fuss" about him raping their 8yo daughter... When the police were called (which was few and far between) they said it was a "domestic issue" and "out of their jurisdiction." My grandmother was lucky enough to escape that world when she got married... She was 16. Her Highschool expelled her because they felt she was showing the girls a bad message. She fought it as they let her back in but told her if she got pregnant she would be removed for good and she wasn't allowed to tell anyone she was married or wear her ring... Gotta love the 50's!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yes and no. There was also high instances of alcohol abuse, and we don't really know what secrets many families kept back then. They may have stayed together, but that may not have been a good thing.

I would like this statistic to come back from the 50's. In 1950, the ratio of the average executive's paycheck to the average worker's paycheck was about 30 to 1. Since the year 2000, that ratio has exploded to between 300 to 500 to one. That was taken from this article: The Middle Class in America is Radically Shrinking. Maybe living like that would help families stay together too. Many divorces or marriage trouble stem from financial issues.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• So NO! I wouldn't want to go back to the 40s or 50s or even bring an updated version here... I like having rights, I like being able to do what I want and making the choices on my own without having to clear it through someone else... Our children today have every advantage in life - MUCH more than kids had then... I can't imagine why anyone would want to go back... We are MUCH better off today!! Life is our own, and that's how it should be!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• And when people say they could never manage all of their modern day responsibilities and have dinner and the children clean, dressed and ready for when "Dad gets home," you have to remember, that kids were pretty much kicked out of the house to play and entertain themselves with their friends all day, neighbors knew each other, watched out for, and supported one-another. Moms typically had the support of extended family to help with child rearing, and families were more of a "unit."

Moms didn't drive their kids around to a half-dozen activities. Kids walked themselves to and from school. Doctors made house-calls. All that driving around and waiting for appointments and activities to begin/end, cuts into some very valuable time that was once reserved for taking care of chores and errands.

That's how I grew up, and that was primarily in the 70's!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:24 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yes, and no.

I miss "polite society" I find the manners I see around apalling, and there is a certain entitlement to "feel happy all the time" that bothers me. I especially don't like the tendency to drug people simply for having a disagreeable personality.

However, there was a seedy underbelly to the older times. Abuse wasn't talked about or fixed. Alcoholism remained the elephant in the room. There was just no awareness of how to deal with emotional trauma.

Now, we wallow in it. I would like a happy medium.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:25 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• There has to be a return to values and morals. What is referred to as morals today don't even resemble what I was taught. There is a blurred line between right and wrong. There is a "but" in them where there shouldn't be. Doing right for the sake of it being right is discouraged. Teaching your child to say "yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir, and no sir" is considered provincial but it isn't. It is manners, being polite, and showing an understanding that as a child you are in a position of submission to an adult - in other words - authority. Teaching responsibility and hard work will yield success has been replaced with "it isn't your fault" and "make life easy for my child" has ruined a couple of generations. We are living in the middle of the "Me" generation. I don't like this generation. They don't consider how their actions effect others, and they don't care. Yes, 40's and 50's values please.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 24, 2010