IF by some act of the Universe every copy of every religious text just vanished from the earth...

Do you think the world would be better or worse in the end? Would you still be able to cling to your beliefs? Would you still teach your children your beliefs? How would YOUR life change and how would the world around you change?

Think about it... We aren't erasing history, or religion, just religious texts...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There was a time when there was no religious text and the people clung to some belief that there was something beyond this and clung to the hope they would achieve that. Humans like the fact there is something out there greater than we are. It gives us purpose for being. (I don't care what religion or lack of religion you gravitate towards.)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• There would be a mad dash to rewrite everything dow, leading to to even more perversion of the original works
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• There would be wars............
    michelle146

Answer by michelle146 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It wouldn't be Utopia but I think it would be a better place.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Someone would just write more. Beliefs would change a bit, but the bones of religion would still be intact.
    For me personally, I don't rely on religious text, so there wouldn't be much difference.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I don't rely on them either Salem... But it always seems when someone does something good they are more than willing to take the credit without giving it to their religious teaching or book... It's only when their religious book seemingly encourages hate and bigotry that the books come out and gain credit... So I wonder, without their books, who would these hateful and bigoted people have to back up their beliefs? Who would they blame? Would they have to start taking some credit for that as well? Who would remember enough of these complex texts to rewrite them, and how much would be forgotten? Just something to think about...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I dont think it would make a huge change. If you have true faith it is in your heart, not text. I believe in Jesus Christ and I consider myself saved with or without the Bible. Jesus forgives us if we love and follow him...nothing else matters.

I can guide my children without something to tell me how and they also are capable of making thier own religious decisions about what they believe and think.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yes
    NSeni

Answer by NSeni at 2:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• About what happened in the episode of Farscape where the clergy of an abandoned race rewrote it as they went along to make themselves more powerful and give them whatever they wanted. Any time they needed something, they just invented a scripture for it, wrote it down, and passed it on to the next generation. When, generations later, they were finally caught out, the people were devastated, completely lost their faith, and the clergy were shunned. Good thing that doesn't exist in the real world, things being rewritten for people's convenience...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Personally, I believe this is why the bible says to "Hide the word in you heart." If there ever was a time in life that this happened or just hyptthecially. I belive I have enough of the word of God stored up in me that I could teach my daughter.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2010