CIO method..(For those who used it and were successful) IF YOU DON'T APPROVE OF CIO THEN DON'T ANSWER QUESTION!

What exactly did you do? How long did oyu let them cry for ? Did you get up and comfort them and then let them cry again after a certain period of time? Did you increase the time of crying over a certain period? Looking at all my options. Thanks :)

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 11:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe I'm just mean, but I'll let it go on for a long time. I go in return pacifier but don't talk or pick her up. Sometime I'll let it go on for 15 min spans. The bottom line is that my daughter was sleeping through the night, by two months with no trouble. I don't fight every night now and I get all the sleep i need. She wakes up at 7:30 and goes to bed at 9:00. I noticed that picking her up interrupted the time she would need to fall asleep. Like if i picked her up after ten minutes of crying, then the fifteen she needed to go to sleep restarted. Eventually I just said to hell with it, it's your bedtime you are going to bed.
    MsYoung655

Answer by MsYoung655 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure about the method...to be honest, I'm not much of a method parent. But I can tell the difference between an "I don't want to go to bed cry" and an " I need something " cry.

I usually let the the "I don't want to go to bed cry" go for a couple of minutes as long as it's not escalating to an extreme.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My kids slept all night by the time they were about 3 months old and slept IN their CRIBS. They really didn't cry very much--only if they had a cold ,etc. Which was not often. If a baby cries hysterically for more than about 10 minutes, there could be a real problem. Colic ? But I don't think letting a baby cry or fuss for a while is so bad. I think my kids were comfortable sleeping in their cribs and they could calm themselves after a feeding, didn't need constant attention. So...I wouldn't say its so bad to let your baby cry.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• After 10 months, make sure they aren't hungry, thirsty or wet put them in their bed give them their lovey turn the light off and leave the room. If they cry wait 5 minutes, go and check them make sure nothing is wrong don't say anything to them and lay them back down. If they cry wait 10 minutes and then check on them, lay them back down w/o saying anything to them, if they cry wait 15 minutes and repeat.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Oh---and use your own Intuition, your own "mommy feelings" to decide how long is too long. I can't advise you about that. YOU know best! Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My pediatrician told me that babies had to learn to soothe themselves to sleep, not depend on others. He said to have a set routine and not to deviate from it. And have anyone who took care of the baby use the same routine. Our routine was soothing/cuddling, swaying back and forth for a few minutes, turning the music on, and putting the baby in the crib/bassinet. Leave the room. The first time I did it (at 6 weeks) he cried for 20 minutes. It was not a frantic screaming. I could not have waited through that and would have cuddled him again. The next couple of times it was maybe 5 minutes and then after that he did not fuss. He developed his own comforting routine. He had a favorite sleep sak and I always used that. He had that sleep sak with him, even after growing out of it, until he was three years old. I started at 6 weeks because that's when I told the pediatrician I was exhausted and frazzled not knowing..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:53 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• There are gentle ways to get more sleep without resorting to letting a baby cry. If you must do something read this: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html (Ignore the title, it will help)

Babies are supposed to be dependent on others. They are much like functioning quadrapalegics. If you are going to do it, 15-20 minutes is too long for a baby under 9 months. It's heartbreaking to hear the cry for a reason. Touch and contact is not a want for babies, it is a need as surely as milk and air. Babies aren't being "little shits" when they don't want to go to bed...they don't want to be alone...its biologically programmed. It is stressful. A baby who feels safe and secure does not need elaborate rituals or training to go to sleep, because they WANT to go to sleep when they are tired. The US culture for some reason sees normal baby behavior as bad. I don't understand why.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Well first i would never go in there just to comfort, only when I would finally give in and to let him out of the bed would i go in there. Because going in there and then leaving will only make them cry longer. As heart wrenching as it was I would just lay him down sing him a song give him a kiss say i love you and good night and leave until I felt it had been too long. There was never really a set time though and it has been a while but i think it started at about 15-20 mins, then the longer we did this the less time it took each time. after a week it dropped down to 5-10 mins after i put him in there he would be asleep.

As long as you listen to them they will be ok.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• cont...how to put baby down in bed without him waking up. With my second baby I started right from birth and did not have the transitioning time I had with the first at 6 weeks. I understand there are many ways to accomplish good sleeping habits. This is what worked for us. Our kids were happy, thriving, babies. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:58 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I could tell when something when wrong and when they just didn't want to sleep. With three out of four of my kids I could let them cry at the most a half hour and they would give up and go to sleep. The other one had this ear piercing scream and would scream ALL NIGHT if he had to, so I would have to go to him and do what I could. I can tell a difference today in how they react today to different things. The three who would cio get over stumbles, falls and such very quickly whereas the one who needed me does not recover and needs comforting. Some kids are just more needy than others.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2010