at what age do you think its ok to

leave a child alone at home by itself? or with other siblings?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 11:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not an age thing. More of a maturity level thing. My son was fine at 9. I know some I wouldn't leave alone or with others at 18.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree with the previous posters. It's a good idea to be familiar with your state laws, and have a child that's able to complete basic self care tasks, such as fixing themselves a sandwich and what 911 is used for.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:39 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• In PA you aren't legally allowed to leave a child alone until they are 13. If they are with older siblings the siblings have to be at least 15...

Now, MPO, if you are running to the store for 10 mins and your kid has the flu... Leaving an 8 or 9 yo on the couch isn't going to be a big deal... Although it's not legal, it's practical...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Depends on your cities laws. But around 12 or so.

Answer by louise2 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It depends on their maturity. My oldest was OK with it around 11-12. My youngest was older. They knew the rules.....what was allowed and how to answer the door. They were never alone at night.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:38 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Like the others have said, it's more of a maturity thing and if it's for a few minutes and the kid is smart enough to leave the house if it catches fire and not let anyone in, then it's okay.
    But, there are laws stating when you can leave your kid alone. I think it should be more of an each kid thing than a set age.
    My girl, I'd leave her alone at 8 or 9 to go to the store right down the road for a few minutes. She already knows emergency numbers, not to let people in the house, not to open the door, to get her tush out if the smoke alarm goes off or she sees smoke. I think she could handle it and I think I'll be able to handle it in a couple years.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• in the state of TX the oldest a child can be left alone is 12 and if you want them to watch siblings then they have to take a babysitting class, pass and still be 12 to watch the kids. but my son is 10 and comes home after school by himself (our house is right behind the school) and my daughter goes to daycare. i work home health so it's easy for me to "leave" the job
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• depends on the child... some are ready way before others.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:54 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree It depemds on your state law and the maturity of your child.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 12:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Depends on their maturity. Maybe Middle school age.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010