Is lying a deal breaker?

If you married someone who you found out later was a pathological liar, would that be a deal breaker, and reason for divorce, or do you think you could stay married to a man who never told the truth?

Just curious. I've always said that like cheating was a deal breaker, and never thought of something like this as being one, but for me it would be. Even if he was a nice guy and all, I could not deal with having someone I ought to be able to trust, lie to me all the time -- even about little things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, in fact it's just about the only one in my book... If you can't trust them, there is no point in the relationship.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If someone can't tell me the truth, whether it's about the big stuff or the little meaningless stuff, they don't deserve to be in my life. :-)
    If you don't have the trust, what do you have?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yes there are only a few things in my book that are deal breakers. Cheating and Lyeing. if i cant trust you then whats the point.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yes if i cant trust what he says means I cant trust him so there's no relationship
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Definate deal breaker. If a person lies, there can be no trust. Without trust in a relationship, there really is nothing.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My Gramma always said 'if he'll lie about one thing, he'll lie about EVERYTHING" and "you can lock up from a thief, but you can't lock up from a liar, so avoid them!" So yeah, lying is a deal breaker. It is on the list of things I refuse to live with--right along with abuse, cheating (a form of lying) drunkenness and drug abuse.

Each person has to decide what she will put up with and what she won't. Those are my deal breakers.
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 1:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i dated a pathological liar. that was "interesting." when i started catching wind of it, i started feeling like i didn't know who i was dating. i couldn't rely on any commitment he made to me - everything was a lie. that shit is crazymaking. i like to be sane, thank you.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010