How are chores split up in your home?

I am soooo tired of our one sided relationship when it comes to do ing chores and keeoing up the home! OTHER than the chores, my boyfriend is a top notch dad and man.

Okay, I work full time as does my boyfriend. We have three kids all the time and every other weekend his daughter comes to visit.

In the house I cook, wash dishes, put them away, wash clothes, put them away, take off the trash, vacumme, sweep, mop.... everything! My bf mows the grass and upkeeps outdoors. When I ask him to do ertain things he does... eventually. He is SLOW, but he does them.

How are chores split up in your home? We are moving next week and things are going to have to change... I told him this just a few minutes ago. We do not have a dishwasher where we are now but we will at our new home so that is going to be t least a little better. My girls clean their own room.

What chores do you do and which ones are assigned to your SO?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 12:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It just kinda happens in my house....I went on strike a few years back so he learned to pick up the slack...I don't do HIS laundry anymore and he does the mopping and we share doing the vacuuming I for the most part do the dishes cuz my hubby could NOT load a dishwasher to save his life...LOL
    Hubby usually takes out the trash AND he also usually does the bathroom cleaning...he takes FOREVER to do his 'chores' but WHATEVER...better he do it than me...even if he takes 50 times LONGER!
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If it needs to be done you do it. Because I am home all the time I am usually the first one to spot something that needs to be done, but just like yesterday when he got home he took the trash out because it needed to be done.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• well, the chores are split up by me managing... He will NOT do dishes. He will NOT vacuum. He will NOT pick up after the kids.

He will mop if I tell him to, or do anything that will cause my asthma or eczema to flair
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'm a SAHM so I do everything except he does the Trash and every once in a while he'll Cook/Grill and beleive it or not he even does the laundry if I haven't gotten to it. He also mows and what all outside.

Sounds like you need to put your foot down and just let him know that he needs to do more around the house to help you out. Though with him being like this for so long, he'll probably just blow it off and continue to be the same. Good Luck with it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Honestly im the SAHM for now and i do everything. when i did have a part time job i STILL did everything. and if and when i get another job i will STILL do everything. i am SUPER anal and uptight about the way i want things done. now does that mean i dont want him to atleast put his dishes in the damn sink no. or put his clothes IN the hamper not beside it no. but as for the actual act of doing the chores thats all me.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• is it even lazy or just thinking you have those things covered so he does other stuff. Glad you got to get it out. Moving is way up there on stressors~pick you battles and keep it positive~you have daze of this to get thru.

and in my world you have it good~I do all the systems~that means the lawns, meals, laundry, fiances, scheduling, you get it...

he is present is other ways and you create a wonderful place for you all to grow in~Good on Ya~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• you cook; he cleans, he cooks; you clean. you do laundry, he puts it away..... try to make it a bit more even this way... GL
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• well me and my husband both work 9-5.. even though i do work from home still work.. i do laundry dishes cook clean.. the only thing he does is vacuum(i hate the vacuum) and since i am to prego to bend over the bathtub he has taken over child washing duty.. but before prego all he did was vacuum like once a month when i bitched about it.. but he also does the outside work just mowing though since i cant push a mower at all.. it weighs to much..lol.. but i do the gardening.watering.. he feeds the dogs but most the time forgets even though he goes out to smoke like 20 times when hes home.. but he does the grocery shopping and takes the kids to and from school. but he just got a new job so that will end and family will have to help with that since i do not have a car
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Let's see hubby does the laundry (every 2wks) and grocery shopping. He will wash, dry all the clothes but only folds our (mine & his) and things like the towels and sheets. I have to fold and hang up the kids clothes plus put all of the clothes away. Every blue moon he may cook breakfast on a Sat or Sun or take the dishes out of the dishwasher. Cooking,,,,,he's rather eat chips for dinner than cook something as simple as a polish sausage. I take care of the kids, cooking, the basic everyday housework like dishes, vacuum, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, sorting laundry, etc. We have a dishwasher but sometimes if it's only a few I'll wash them and let them dry in the dishwasher.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I stay home, so I do most stuff. But if we are having company and/or we're spring cleaning, my husband will usually help out. He'll also watch our daughter so I can get things done. In the evenings we have a routine. Right after dinner my husband goes and fills up the baby tub and puts it on the counter. I then give her a bath while he picks up from dinner and feeds the dogs. Then he'll watch her while I load the dishwasher and finish cleaning. He takes out the trash if I remind him, but he often forgets if left to just do it on his own. He does all the mowing and we usually share the raking in the fall.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010