What happens if all the insurance companies...

are unable to operate in the black under the new Obama care laws and close their doors for business.

What are some of the long term consequences of lessening the amount of suppliers providing insurance?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Imagine what 300 + million people waiting in line at the DMV or Post Office would look like. Pretty much sums it up! *sigh*

Imagine the level of care and/or the number of treatments, you can expect to receive with only a FRACTION of tax generated revenues are coming in--because, as you know, there would be that many MORE people on unemployment having lost their health insurance company job. *sigh*

There is only so much that the wealthiest percentage of Americans can continue to support a growing number of dependents before the till runs dry. And just think some of the wealthiest are the CEO's of the companies that stand to shut down as the result of ObamaCare.

It's going to have a nasty, long-lasting "trickle down" effect.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• There isn't a benefit for them to HELP people. That's why you have practices like auto denial of certain services..even if you can appeal later and get it approved...in teh mean time some have died of just given up......so they save $$$ rather than save lives.

***
    And you REALLY think ObamaCare is the answer?! LOL...You just described UHC or Medicare/Medicaid!!

Like the old saying goes: "You get what you pay for!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• THAT is why they shouldn't be for profit. they should be non-profit service providers.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• UHC will happen.
    Isn't that what was supposed to happen when the Startof UHC Bill doesn't quite work as we were told?
    When Ins. co's are no longer profitable and many are uninsured...Isn't the only option then UHC?
    This is how the whole process Obama initiated is supposed to workout. That way-the Ins. Co's are to blame and not any specific poliltician.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Stacy
    I don't understand why you think a company providing insurance should be non-profit? Why? They never hid the fact they were making money. Because it's a persons health and not a specific material thing like a TV they are paying for? It's ok to spend 2grand on a huge TV but we shouldn't have to pay a decent amount for health insurance or we shouldn't be paying anyone for anything for related to our healthcare?
    I will never understand why people think health insurance companies and healthcare providers should be non-profit but it's ok to pay for cable tv, cheetos, nike tennis shoes, diesel jeans, and $80 to the salon for pink and white nails-when all the while the average JoeBlow gets paid at whatever other job he has that doesn't pertain to anything in the healthcare industry.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If I had my choice to voluntarily PAY for anything it would be for better healthcare and insurance, not the daily things so many think they have to have and DON'T mind paying for.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Maybe your ol man is TV repair man, and I have decided on my own that I have to have my TV. So your husband should work at a company that is non-profit and he should be a volunteer. Maybe you work as a haristylist and I have decided I need my haircut. So you have to start volunteering and your company has to be non-profit.
    Just because you think a health ins. co should be non-profit that doesn't make it a correct assumption.
    I have an idea...get all your wealthiest friends and bleeding hearts together and start your own non-profit health insurance company, you should have plenty in the population who think as you do so it should not be a problem finding partners. In fact start in Hollywood with all their money and start insuring Americans for no profit.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'm speaking in terms of the Health Insurance company. The company has a right to make some money. We all have the right to make some money. I have no opinion that any company should operate for no profit.
    I understand the empoyees make a salary.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• maybe because health insurance companies produce no product and no service, Jewjewbee

I pay for a product every month when I pay my premium.

I thought a product can be tangible or intangible.

Hm.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• MBG...Believe me, I have no problem understanding the goods and services I receive from my health insurer and my providers in response to the premiums and copays I make. If some people haven't taught themselves by now that healthcare providers and insurers DO provide a service-I can't help them. They can go back to school..by themself and sign their own diploma.
    I have never had a problem with the goods and services I receive from my insurers or my providers and recognizing that I did pay for those whether they be tangible or intangible.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010