What do braxton hick's contraction feel like exactly?

I'm wondering because I'm 21 weeks 2 days along with my first and yesterday I was having some awful back pain and I was having a lot of pressure in my stomach and (this only happened once) I had what felt like a contraction. My whole stomach got really really tight and it hurt so bad...it stayed tight for about 45 seconds or so and then slowly loosened up. Could this have been a braxton hick's contraction?

jazi1105

Asked by jazi1105 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't have back pain when I had braxton hicks...my stomach would tighten and it felt somewhat uncomfortable but it didn't hurt too much. I didn't have those until I was about 30 weeks along though...i would check with your dr about any back pain though... good luck
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 12:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That's what they felt like to me. Braxton Hicks aren't regular...on other words, they're sporadic, and can't be timed like real contractions. Try not to worry, but I'd call my doctor if I were you, just to be sure.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That is what mine felt like.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• my stomach got tight. it never hurt me, but that is not to say that they do not hurt. i ignored them during my 2nd pregnancy and had my baby 8 weeks early :(
    listen to your body and talk to your dr.!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yes, that is a Braxton Hicks. You will probably experience tightness in your stomach area and pressure in your back and private area.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• that's how mine felt but my back didn't hurt with it. It felt like my belly was squeezing my baby lol
    ilovemyaustin1

Answer by ilovemyaustin1 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I've heard that that's what they feel like to alot of women. With both of mine (now 2yrs and 11months), mine felt like my body was involuntarily tensing up to go #2.

SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 8:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010