My Shih Tzu itches

My 10 year old Shih Tzu scratches all the time..No fleas.. She just has skin problems. Her underneath has kind of brown marks it does not come clean in the tub... The vet said they could take care of it for $100.00 +++ liver tests and blood tests and that does not included the medication she will have to take. She has always had skin problems. Is there anything I can do at home to help relieve it or even clear it up? I have tried Benadril and that only works temporarly... HELP itch itch itch

JamiesMom08

Asked by JamiesMom08 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pets

• Did Vet give you a diagnosis? Dogs have allergies just like we do. Some are environmental allergies (pollens, carpet, bedding, detergents:includ. shampoos) and some are food allergies (corn: a major ingred in standard dog foods, chicken, beef, etc. whatever the primary protein source is in the food.) Changing foods requires about a 30-45 day process where the new food is introduced slowly (to prevent gastro problems) results, if any, will be seen shortly thereafter. There are also prescription pet foods, hypo-allegenic shampoos avail thru Vets and some feed stores. Good Luck!
    jynn707

Answer by jynn707 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Itching is a problem. Food allergies usually don't present on the whole body and environmental allergies usually only are where the dog touches the allergen. Did your vet do a skin scraping for mites? The other thing I would say is fleas. I know you may not see them but in actuality if you aren't treating with Advantage, Advantix, or Frontline, around the clock, they are probabaly the problem or part of it. If your dog has a flea allergy then it only takes one bite week to keep his body itchy. Fleas don't live on the pet. They jump on to feed and live in either the grass or your carpet. Use the topical flea control year round(Advantage, ect). If you are, then treat your carpets, too.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 4:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Does he stink? Like yeasty smell? He might have a staph infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics. Staph is usually secondary to what the real itch problem is though. Other more unlikely things that may cause itchy skin are: Underlying problems like Cushings Disease, hypothyroidism (sometimes). I can't think of the others right now. They would be detected with blood work. For less money to start out with try good flea control. Don't waste your money on the cheaper topical flea meds. They are worthless. Good luck. Feel free to ask me more questions, any time. I hope some of this helps.
    MarynmomofColby

• i have a bulldog and a shitzue and it is most likely a fungal thing, i used the following solution (which i used in the past when i raised and showed cocker spaniels ) 1 bottle of isopropal alcohol 3 tablespoons boric acid powder and 16 drops gentine violet solution, you can getthese items from pharmacy and they are very cheap , mix the solution and put all over dog in your draintub or sink and the dog will be purple for a while but do it at least 3 times in a 7 day period and it will stop, this stuff works on all kinds of stuff you will be amazed, and it works very well no more scrachin and itchin at all then just bath regulary as you normally would my bulldog and shitzue are so high maintaince that the bulldog just gets in shower with me every other day and she is perfect i use good human shampoo on her and then the stuff call biosilk and massage it into her skin and she is perfect ,
    prettyinpinkme

Answer by prettyinpinkme at 12:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Oh so many options .. Yes she is on flea treatment Advantage. She does not stink..She is just itching and itching..
    prettyinpinkme what is gentine violet?
    ynn707 when I spoke to the vet which was about 3 years ago he perscribed me som EXPENSIVE shampoo. Said it was just allergies.
    I just feel sorry for her. She is not itching so bad that it is taking he hair off. She just seems to itch in the same place kind of between where her body goes down her leg on the inside ?

JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentian_violet
    PRMD03

Answer by PRMD03 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I looked this up since I had never heard of it either and the first post is what I found. There were other sites but I sent you the one from wikipedia.
    PRMD03

Answer by PRMD03 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I do agree with jynn707. Food allergies can cause the itching skin. I have a friend who has a Maltese that was having health problems. Her vet put him on the Science ID diet and he did not get better so she has taken him off commercial dog food and has been making him food for quite some time now. He is actually doing a lot better he has not had the health problems that he had. Food is usually the culprit when there are skin problems. Go to google and research the problem you will find that it usually comes back to the crud the dog food manufacturers are putting into the food. Here is one site: http://www.seefido.com/html/dog_food_recipes.htm
    PRMD03

Answer by PRMD03 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Hi - I am the shih Tuz Expert at All Experts.com

I am sure you little one has allergies -

I can help with changing her foods and adding supplements..

Let me know if you want my help.

All Experts offers free Q and A service to the community

I am Marie Peppers/ Also, alternative meds expert

mtnmom@gci.net

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

Just ask, give me more details on her diet and brands you are feeding

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 4:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2008