Where else can I inject lovenox?

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and my skin is very tight around my sides. I have to do twice daily injections and frankly, the only areas on my hips where I could inject- I already have and they are bruised and painful to the touch. Where else can I inject the lovenox? Is my thighs ok?

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Lovenox is a sub-Q injection. Here's an instructional sheet from the National Institutes of Health for sub-q sites. In our maternity nursing class, we're taught to give sub-q injections to pregnant patients in the back of the upper arm - the triceps area. Of course, you'll have to have help to do it, but it's possible. If your husband or another family member is squeamish about giving you a shot, maybe they could just pinch the tissue for you. Remember, if you give it in the upper arm, the rule is that if you can pinch an inch, you go in at a 90 degree angle (straight up and down). If you pinch LESS than an inch, insert the needle at a 45 degree angle. Place the syringe flat against your arm and raise it up halfway. The upper thighs are also acceptable sites for sub-q injections.

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_education/pepubs/subq.pdf
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 1:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would think your thighs would be OK, but You should ask your Dr. to be sure.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• You should really call your doc and find out what they suggest. I know that's not what ya want, but they know best!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thanks. I called and left a message. of COURSE it's a Saturday. I havent done my morning injection today- I'm too flaked out and sore!
    MamaCarterof5

Comment by MamaCarterof5 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The back sides of your thighs (where all the fat is) is about the only other place you can do it. Lovenox needs to be injected in fat, and well, since your belly isn't fat anymore, you're left with your thighs and sides. I know its REALLY tender and bruised, but once you can get your sides cleared up of bruises, go back to your thighs and alternate from there.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 1:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2010