How many children in a class,would you say are too many?

My daughter is going into 2nd grade and currently registered in a near by catholic school.I just received her class list and there are 31 children in her class.I think that is way to many.I called another catholic school near by and the number of students per class is not more than 20.Should I change schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Good Question. Bump
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 1:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• classes keep getting bigger-it sucks. My daughter had classes in high school last year that had like 50 kids-she said there were not enough desks for everyone there were kids standing
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My son had 12 in his graduating class at a private Christian school & I thought that was great. Much more than 15 or 20 & some are gonna get lost along the way. That's one of the problems with most public schools. There are way too many students in each class & there's no way the teacher can effectively teach them all, giving them the individualized attention they need to reach their learning potential.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would say 31 is too many... I think between 15 - 20 is a good number.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think 15-20 is a good number too.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• 32 is a lot... but I guess I would ask more questions before I changed schools... maybe they have some sort of team teaching or group teaching that they are in smaller groups... we had something like that when I was in 4-6th grade... we had 50 kids in our class but it was team taught and all broken down into smaller learning groups.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That was the average class size at the Catholic schools I went to as a kid.

My oldest dd's 4th grade class had 28 students.  The year before they had 31.  They were the biggest class in the school.  My 1st and 2nd graders last year each had 22 kids.  Most of the grades had 20-25 kids except the preschool that had like 30 but had 2 teachers.  there was only 1 classroom per grade.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010