POOP. will different formulas make baby poop smell bad? (enfamil to parents choice)

my son is 11 weeks old. he is half breastfed/half formula fed. he was a preemie and we have feeding/supply problems stemming from that.

so far he has been on enfamil premium lipil but we switched to parents' choice (same exact nutrition, 2 differences in ingredients in a LONG list of ingredients!) about 3 days ago.

until yesterday his poop smelled like breastfed baby poop--definitely an odor but not necessarily a bad odor. now his poop smells HORRIBLE! it makes me nervous that he is getting significantly less breast milk but then i thought maybe it's the difference in formula!!!!

so how does your formula fed baby's poop smell? and what brand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep, Enfamil made my kids poops look more like breastmilk. Similac it stank worse and their poop was green...eeeewww
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The change in the odor has to do with giving him formula. If he is getting more formula then breastmilk then that will do it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i had a preemie that had mostly formula while in the hospital. the day after we got home i took him off the formula and only did breast milk. he fought it hard for 2-3 days, but i never gave him the formula in the bottle option. i only offered the breast, and my supply increased. i just wanted to share that with you. you can go to kellymom.com and la leche league for more information.
    and yes any formula will make your baby's poo stinky.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• All formula makes a baby's poop smell way worse than breast milk. I've BF 3 babies and had one on formula for a few months after he was 10 months old. He tollerated any formula just fine, so we would buy what ever was on sale. He drank Similac, Enfamil, Parent's Choice (which I liked best because it produced less bubbles and gas), and Target's Up & Up. All of them made his poop smell about the same.

I think your baby may be getting more formula and less BM. You will always have supply issues as long as you are supplementing with formula. You need to start offering less formula and nursing more. If you start to feed on demand, you should be able to get your supply built up in several days.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• thanks happy2bmom25. i was hoping to do that when we got home, and now i realize that maybe i could have IF i would have had help. my husband was straight to work after the NICU and i was here with my baby, my 3 year old, and my pump. ;) & now i am back to work so pretty hopeless. i have seen the lactation consultant and she was helpful but i found it impossible to do what you did. because it would have been a 24/7 think for a week i guess. i am so sad, i can just cry about it now because i know it's too late since i'm at work. 40 hrs per week.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• its not too late!

you can learn to pump more effeciently. http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html once you pump better it will help, and as soon as you get home you can nurse. visit LLL for uman support in your area.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• LLL didn't help me with any of my problems.. I couldn't breast feed any of my children. I produced less than an ounce of milk during both babies.

Formula does make the poop smell funny.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 9:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It is not too late to wean off the formula and do away with it. Here is a great article on relactation and one on low supply.

squish

Answer by squish at 9:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2010