Something else to worry about??

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/kids-playing-choking-games-9857833

thoughts?

Asked by older at 1:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • OP, this is a good question! Mark your calendar for me saying that! LOL!

We had friends lose a son this way last year. He had gotten into auto erotic asphyxiation. His Dad and Mom found him hanging in the garage when they returned from an evening out. I cannot imagine opening your garage door and seeing your child hanging in front of you. The pastor actually took up the issue at the funeral! He did it in a wonderful way and made it only about the danger and tragedy of it..nothing about "faith." The boy was 16 and his funeral was attended by more than 600 people, most of them kids.

It may not be new, but it is still deadly. I think it is one of those things were talking about..like keeping your pants up unless you can afford a baby and not drinking and driving.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Not at all to sound insensitive but that choking thing has been around, It is horrible and I cannot understand for the life of me why kids would want to so something that could hurt them.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I didn't go to the link, but I read about kids and choking themselves a while back. Apparently it's one of the new things that good kids do to get "high." Kids who do sports and stuff who don't want to take drugs will play choking games to get "high." It's scary.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 1:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Sad. I know of a child who died doing that. Educating them is probably the best prevention.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It happened not far from me a coupke years ago....I have heard of it before but didnt think much of it....Until my hubby told me him and a few friends did it a few times growing up!

I would NEVER even THINK about that!! WHY would  they do that???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• We did this years ago when I was growing up. I'm talking this was almost 30 years ago. It wasn't about getting high back then, we thought it was funny getting someone else to pass out. I was about 8 years old, and I really didn't know better, but a few years later, I realized how stupid we were.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• This is FAR from new! I remember them lecturing us about this when I was in elementary school... Articles and news reports make it seem like 95% of the kids out there are doing this stuff, and that's never the case! It's a small percentage who try it and an even smaller percentage who end up hurt. Now, for that smaller than small percentage it's a tragedy, but do I think it's something we should all have nightmares over? NO! Kids have and always will do stupid things to get a rush... My Grandfather dropped firecrackers down the gas vents in the coal mines in the 40's... He could have killed not only himself but HUNDREDS of others... But he did it because it was a rush... Drop it and run... try not to loose a limb... Kids haven't changed! And you can't keep your kids in a bubble because your head is full of "what if's"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have heard about it and I just don't understand why anyone would do it. It should be classified as a mental illness....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yourspecial, I have made a mark on my calendar!

Comment by older (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010