What can I use to keep cats and other animals out of my garden?

tazdvl

Asked by tazdvl at 2:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have a chicken wire fence around my garden. It seems to work.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Well, without putting up a fence, you could purchase liquid fence. It keeps bunnies and deer away. Apparently its prime ingredient is cougar pee! LOL... not kidding.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If your having issues with them chewing on your plants, try bitter apple spray. Smells and tastes nasty. So when you bring in veggies make sure you wash them. Wouldn't keep them totally out of the garden, but would save the plants. Perhaps use with with the fence idea too.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Fencing works best,of course you might have to put 'roofing' over the top or chances are a cat could probably jump over.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I fenced mine to eight foot and used flex fencing across the top. We have deer, buns, squirrels (who may be the worst lol!), raccoons, and just about everything else. I've even had fox digging up potatoes ...

It's sort of a never ending battle to keep the garden safe until you can harvest some of it. I do plant outside the garden for the wild things but I'm a softie for critters.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• moth balls
    urine

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I was going to say that too.....URINE. sounds gross but if you pour around your garden it should keep the critters away.
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• we have a fence up which seems to do a good enough job... urine is the other thing i've heard, but with my girls playing around out there daily, ... not something I'm trying... but my 3 year old has peed out there! ha!
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:20 AM on Jul. 27, 2010