How can I better explain to hubby that I should take care of bank account and bills?

After a year of being married he just put me on his account making it a joint account. For ID & to use PayPal & eBay I kept my account open w/just a minimun amount. I was asked to stop working after having our first child. So haven't been able to contribute anything to the account. When I had my own account I paid all of my bill a month in advance. If it's June, I was paying July, in July I was paying August. Monthly I was even able to start putting a little money to the side in an account that was suppose to become a savings account or emergency fund. He pays things at the last minute. Rent is due on the 1st w/a 4 day grace period. So he waits until the 5th to pay even though the money is in the account. Doctor bills that were due months ago that he promised to pay he's just got around to. I've tried talking to him about letting me handle things but he says that he has it under control. How can I get him to allow me to help??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Tell him that he works all day and that this is something that you are good at and would like to take over.

Answer by Bmat at 2:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• How about: "Honey, I know you work all day, it must be tiring to have to come home and pay bills. Why don't you let me take care of the bills, since I'm home during the day anyway. I would like to be able to contirbute more. That way, when you get home, you can rest or we have a little extra time to spend together.... etc.?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Just sweet talk him
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Tell him youll take care of it, maybe if you set up a spread sheet or something to where he can see it too. IDK maybe he just likes having the control? Im bad for that! Tell him if he wont let you completely take over, you atleast want input! theres nothing wrong with that!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I like JGRIMMER's answer. Spot on :)

If that doesn't work maybe writing on the calendar which day certain bills need to be paid on. They don't have to be paid a month early (although I do the same thing) and they don't have to be paid at the last minute. Maybe there's a happy compromise somewhere in between that. Or maybe you can convince him to pay all the bills early.

Good luck :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• YES!! what the first answere-ers said. Or offer to make a calender of when bills are due, and maybe fudge it and put all the due dates ahead one week. SO he will always be early intentionally or not
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 10:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010