Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you paint over wall panel?

I would like a flat wall but my husband doesn't want to take the time to fill the cracks in. What kind of paint would you use?


Asked by tazdvl at 2:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 18 (5,352 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I would take the opportunity to do something more "updated" in a classic way. I would cover the lower 2/3 of the paneling with beadboard or wainscoting with trim moulding on top and shoe moulding on the bottom to give a finished look, by gluing and "tacking" the beadbaord to the existing panel and wall with finishing nails. Paint the beadboard/wainscoting white.

    Measure down the top 1/3 of wall space, and spackle and sand to fill in the paneling grooves, then pain the top 1/3 in a bright/bold/contrasting color that coordinates with the furniture in your room, and add the beadboard/wainscotting--for a "Craftsman" look.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 7:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • Well, to paint over paneling simply use a good adhesive primer or something like Kilz. Pick a paint color and have at it. Once the wall is a solid color the lines are really not that noticeable. The only way to solve that is to spackle and sand each groove or cover the wall with textured paintable wall paper.

    Answer by WoodWitch at 2:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • kilz. when we did it it took about 4 coats of it.

    Answer by jennifer588 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • I suggest investing in a good primer or checking with the paint store....

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • I am currently using an adhesive primer to do my wood work. Adhesive primer not only covers the wood color but helps latex paint stick to whatever it was on the wood, be it stain or lacquer or whatever. I should also point out that the paneling needs to be cleaned and lightly sanded. Stop in a Sherwin Williams or Home Depot and speak to their paint specialists. :)

    Answer by WoodWitch at 6:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2010