Do people understand what a publicly traded company is?

If you're busy stomping your feet and screaming about "greedy big business" that has the nerve to make profit, do you actually understand where those profits go? They are going to your grandmother's pension fund and your 401k. All those horrible profits - they go mainly to the stockholders. They are keeping your bank solvent so they don't sell all their loans (like your mortgage) off to some company that will add 6 grand in fees to you every year. When you throw a hissy about all the "evil" insurance companies and oil companies, do you for one second think about where all that "evil" money actually goes or do you really think each company is run by a duck in spats who swims in a vault full of money every day? When you complain about the outsourcing, do you even know how many of the companies in your own 401k outsource?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Excellent post!!! I am voting you up....if I can figure out how. lol.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When you throw a hissy about all the "evil" insurance companies and oil companies, do you for one second think about where all that "evil" money actually goes
    _______________________________
    If this is directed at saying HEALTH INS companies should be non profit, exaggerate all you want. That is an industry that should not be for profit. Every other company, go for it. I never advocated that companies shouldn't make a profit. I only advocate for the rights of the US public to not have to pay the price for their mistakes. They get the $$ when it's good, they get the bill when it's not. Fair's fair.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yes, I know what a publicly traded company is. I don't think some of the ladies on here do. My husband's company was traded on the DOW but was sold. We had to sell back our stock because it is now privately owned. Yes, it is a large corporation that was sold for $23 billion dollars.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I do. Not many others do. Especially women.

http://www.learnvest.com/

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Great question OP! It is quite clear most of the ladies on here don't know.

stacymom--why should health insurance companies be non-profit? Nobody has to have health insurance, what they need is health CARE.

I didn't have insurance until I was in my mid-20's and my job provided it. If I got sick I went to the doctor and paid him cash. I didn't go just because I had a hangnail or the sniffles...for most things the body will heal itself. People feed the insurance industry, thus raising premiums with unnecessary vistis.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Oh please. Were not screaming about business making a profit. I am not against someone being rich and making profits. It's how they do it. It's happening dishonestly and they are screwing people. The can make all the profit they want if they did it honestly. Following rules and regulations. Without them everyone gets screwed. It's not that they make money It's how they do. And to even stick up for outsourcing is a BIG JOKE. What happen to we love our country. It's OK if you don't higher Americans.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It's how they do it. It's happening dishonestly and they are screwing people. The can make all the profit they want if they did it honestly.

You're missing the point. There is no mythical "they" making a profit - it's YOU making a profit, and your grandmother, and your mortgage holder and your kids' teachers. That's where all that retirement money comes from.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I didn't have insurance until I was in my mid-20's and my job provided it. If I got sick I went to the doctor and paid him cash. I didn't go just because I had a hangnail or the sniffles...for most things the body will heal itself. People feed the insurance industry, thus raising premiums with unnecessary vistis.
    ____________________________
    Thanks for the little lecture. If it makes you feel any better I have been paying out of pocket for my visits for the majority of my life. FYI I agree about the insurance. If you read the other post you will see why that came about, or don't if you do not care. My preference is for HEALTH CARE to be available for all.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think your missing the point. The amount of money in a 401k is insignificant compared to the people that are actually laughing all the way to the bank. The CEO's The people on Wall Street who are making crazy commissions of the business. You don't think the people on the top are making huge profits LOL. They(not a mythical creature) are laughing at you. Getting away with murder because the don't have t follow rules. And if means I get money in my 401K because they made a profit dishonestly doesn't make it right . I want honest money.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think it's pretty convenient to talk about regular people making money for retirement with their 401Ks. Why do you insist on ignoring the abuses that exist?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2010