My cat sounds like he swallowed a baby bird

A few days ago my cat threw up all over my house. He's an outdoor/indoor cat and we live in an area where he gets birds and mice and stuff like that. I hate it, but I can't put a bell on him because a collar would be unsafe for him. Anyway, I wasn't that concerned with the vomit, but the last 2 days he's acted so different. He's been laying under the porch all day not wanting to come in, just giving a little meow when I call him. I finally got him in and while i was laying my son down I heard what sounded like a baby bird. I finally realized it was coming from him. It seriously sounds like he has a baby bird in him tummy, but I think it's his breathing. I'll be taking him to the vet monday, I'm just not sure if I'm going crazy or if something is really wrong with him.

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 3:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pets

• he probably ate something he should not have.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Awwwe !! Poor little thing. I hope it's ok. I will send you and the little one a cute hug.....
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yea that does not sound good at all! I would def take him to the vet keep a close eye on it you may want to check out a emergeny vet!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I called the on call vet he said as long as he's eating and his tongue and gums aren't pale he's probably okay until monday. I'm still kinda worried about him though.
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Keep a close eye on him. Watch for not only pale gums, but bluish colored as well. Watch for blood in his stool or straining but not producing stool.

It's possible he ate something that just didn't agree with him, but it's possible he ate something that is very bad for him or has been injured in some way. Watch for a temp lower than 100, respirations above/below 16-40 breaths per minute, and a heartrate other than 120-140 bpm. If he's injured, has a bone stuck, etc. vitals outside of those windows can indicate shock ~ which is life threatening and requires emergency treatment.

It's good that you called the vet. If possible, keep him in until the appt. on Monday. If something is truly wrong, he may curl up somewhere and you won't see him again. He might be unhappy if he's used to coming and going, but for a few hours he'll be better off. Good luck!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thank you farmlady, you gave me more info than the vet. For now he's pretty content curled up in my sons laundry basket and I'm deffinitely going to try to keep him inside this weekend.
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• So how is he doing??
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• He's doing good. Turns out it was just a bug, probably something he ate. He's back to his normal self now. Thanks ladies!
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2010