Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to convince my elderly father to move in with us.

he is 79 and is ovrweight with lots of health problems. i know he wants to be very independent and he is extremely stubborn. we are goin to get one of the stair things that you sit down on and it takes you up the stairs wihile your sitting for him. he lives out in the country alone and is still trying to drive although sometimes he has blackouts. me and my husband are very worried. we have the two youngest grandkids in the family on his side out of 10. big fam and nobody else is willing to help. hes extremely stubborn and is very set in his ways. how to convince him. he adores our 7 year old and 11 year old and it would be great for hi to watch them growing up to spend his last years alive. HELP! and my hubby has power of attorney(desides what happens to him when he can no longer care for himself. we live 2 hours away and his borther and sister are jerks and the other brother is too busy. how to approach and handle this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • Well, he's 79, he's not a minor.. he's an adult. I would simply ask if he wanted to move in with you and watch your children grow up. If he said no, I would leave it at that until he became unable to take care of himself. I would also try to get his license taken away if he's using it with blackouts. That's not just a risk for him, think of the other people on the road!

    Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • I would do my best to have him come. Have the kids ask him and things like that! My grandma is 73 and is in an assitant living APT. That means there is always someoneis always in the office 24/7 in case of an emregency things like that. My goal is to be able to buy a house by time she can't care for herself. This from one of 11 grandchildren so I know what you mean! Just try your best. Tell him that you think it will be great for the kids to learn new things from him. That they will have that you know when that time comes I know from my great grandma that learning from a person who has seen it is amazing! The best gift in the world I have to say! Good luck!

    Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • You can not legally tell him to live with your family, as im sure you know that. What about a part time aid that comes into his house a few hours out of the day, helps him run errands and what not. That is the best you can do,

    Answer by MKSers at 7:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

  • Tell him your children want him to come live with them, since he loves them so much this might be a good way to approach him.

    Answer by older at 7:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.