Have you ever had problems having a conversation with your DH?

If you did, how did you fix it? I'm having problems talking to him.. just on a regular basis. We'll sit and talk, and either it turns into an argument, or it ends really quickly. We've even gone out to eat and just sat their silent. I'm a SAHM and once I tell him all the stuff that DD did that was cute that day, I'm speechless..
Any advice?
I read the news and tell him interesting things I read, but beyond that I have no idea how to talk to him anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• talk about something that requires a response - ask him questions that require more than a one-word answer. sometimes my husband and i will argue when one of us is not addressing a problem - bad communication habits. if he's willing, there are games like the ungame or surveys that might seem contrived but might open the doorway. talk about something that interests him. be careful to not limit your conversations only to things that need to be taken care of like the house and your daughter. try counseling if you can't find some solutions - just a few visits might help you over the hump. sounds like you might not have many shared interests or activities these days... see if you can work on that.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have problems all the time. When I talk to m hubby everything goes in one ear and out the other. He also likes to argue over little things. He claims I've said or do certain things when I know I haven't But in his mind he's always right. I've just chosen to ignore him and pull the same crap he does so he knows how it feels. It works a little bit but he still doesn't listen 80% of the time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Well that sounds familiar but I do not think you want my advice. Hubby and I are separating after 19 years. Keep on trying is all.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 3:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• maybe he has somethng bothering him

?
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• hmm not sure my hubby is like a broken record! we dont have any money. . . (hour later) y dont we have any money?? seriously!! just shut up and go to work if ur not happy about it! u could try to find a new hobby together or something! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• try to talk to him about some of the interests you used to share before getting married or at the beginning of your marriage.. Good luck..

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 3:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Caroline2010 ,,, that is so so like our house . he says things as though the thought is the same hours and hours later. Just enough drag to drive us all insane. Yeah, like a new hobby will happen, it would need to drop out of the sky, but it should be dipped in gold and have lights , gadgets and a money tree attached to it.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I understand that this is a problem for so many. I have had the same problem when I was in bad relationships with the wrong people. Now I seriously have to say that my husband and I have no problem at all with communication. It is the least of our worries. Since the begining we have been able to talk to one another until late in the night. Just last night we had a great talk.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If I was in your position I would do a couple of things. One I would honestly ask him why he thinks it is. Then just listen to what he says, don't say anything. Give yourself time to really consider what his opinion is. Second I would start to listen to the actual words I'm saying to him. Does it come out wrong or accusitory? How can you change what you say to him. It's worth a try. Explore new ways to talk. Also they do say that communication is quite a bit nonverbal. How is your body language and actions? The only thing you can change is you. Sometimes changing you is all it takes to change the situation. Also I have always found that people like to talk about themselves or their interests. Ask him about his interests. Get him talking about things he likes.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When u have a man like mine you can talk til your purple, not that he ever hears you but..... Trust me I talked to him today, does he know what I said, evidently not as he's on his video game ignoring me AGAIN! I use to be a really talkitive person, but in the last year have just started keeping my lip zipped. I didn't use to bottle everthing up like I do now either. My man's bad about flipping our fights back on me so that everything is my fault. Our birthday is monday, so what did he do with the extra money we had this week?? He went out and bought himself another drill!! OMFG!! I'm sorry but now that he did that there isn't a doubt in my mind that he isn't getting me shit!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 6:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2010