I HAVE MY GED AND WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL TO BECOME A RN. HOWEVER I DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IM GOING TO HAVE TO DO . I HAVE LOOKED IN TO SOME SCHOOLS BUT I CAN NOT FIND ANY OFFERING CLASSES TO BECOME A RN ONLY CLASSES TO FURTHER YOUR EDUCATION AFTER ARE A RN?? IM SO CONFUSED:) PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW THE PROCESS WORKS

bbrittney695

Asked by bbrittney695 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• My mom is an RN. You have to take a lot of general classes before you can get into a nursing program. I would call the college that you want to go to and ask to speak with a counsler. They will be able to help you.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 2:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I know in our area the Hospital here only hires those who went thru a college they approved of. Contact your hospitals personnel office and ask them what schools they recommend.
    Necie11

Answer by Necie11 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I am an RN and I work with several young nurses aides who are going to nursing school. Two of them are going to a community college program and will have their Associates Degree when they are done (2 year degree). You will have to take a "core curriculum" of general courses such as anatomy and physiology, english, math, history (all depending on your home state). The first thing you need to do is find an RN program close to you then have them send you their requirements. It may seem overwhelming at first but it is worth the effort. I have never regretted going to nursing school. I have always been able to find a job that pays well. By the way, I graduated from a 4 year program and have my Bachelor's degree which allowed me to join the military and to pursue more management level jobs as I have aged. Good luck.
    RNMOMO4

Answer by RNMOMO4 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I think RNmom04's answer is great. I am in a community college myslf, also with a GED. I was accepted for the Summer 09 program. I really think comunity colleges are great! I will be getting my BSN also but will complete the BSN after I start working. Another way is to start out at a tech school to be an LPN then bridge to RN at a community college. You should definately go check out the schools in your area because they are all so different. Some does core seperate from the program and some does core within. Some have super long waiting lists some don't.

Whatever you do don't give up! If it is your dream, make it happen. I am on 2 really great sites called allnurses.com and nursinglink.com there is a wealth of info there. Also discovernursing.com

Good luck!
    benya121

Answer by benya121 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2008