Do you buy your children shoes that tie?

Just wondering if anyone buys lace up shoes anymore? I know I bought my grandsons ones that lace up and they should fit them. They're the correct size but I can't get their feet into them. Anyone else have this issue? Wondering about teaching one to tie shoes at what age. Sorry if I ask too much! Thank you for replying!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 3:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Absolutely yes I buy the tie shoes. They stay on better. And I start teaching to tie your shoes at 4. They need to know how before they go to school anyway.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My daughter age 6 asks for shoes that tie but she can tie herself pretty well. Given the choice myself though for them I buy them velcro or the bungee cord type ones.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My oldest has shoes that tie because they were adorable and on sale super cheap at Children's Place ($4 a pair!). He can't tie them yet but I double knot and we don't have a problem.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Nope, I buy velcro. You only need to be able to "handle" your own shoes at school; if they don't have laces, no problem.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• All of my kids shoes have laces... I haven't ever found anything else... We had a few pairs with Velcro that were given to us, but none of the places I shop ever have anything but laces...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The shoe laces maybe tight on the shoe, try loosening them up almost completely. Some shoe brands fit diffrently, sometimes. If they still don't fit, take the shoes back, and if possible take your grandson with you, and size his foot in the measuring device they have in the store. Usually you can ask a sales associate to help if you aren't sure.
    My kids had velcro shoes/sandles (unless they were bought during a sale/clearence) until age 2/3. They really were anxious to learn how to tie, my oldest 2 were experts within a couple of months of first trying. Now its time for my son to try!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would love to buy my son shoes with laces, but it's kind of pointless since with his autism, his fine motor skills are not good and he can't tie. I've been trying to teach him to tie since he was about 4, and his occupational therapists over the years have too, but so far, it hasn't happened. I am so grateful for velcro and elastic!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My children only wore lace-up shoes until they were older and some sort of velcro type shoes came into fashion where they went to school, but they were about 10 years old and older by then.
    I taught all my children how to tie their shoes beginning at age 3 and getting serious when they were age 4 so they knew by the time they went to school.
    My oldest daughter buys these sneakers with elastics on the sides for my granddaughter so they just slip on, which is okay for now because she is only 17 months old, but I'll make sure to buy her lace-up shoes this winter so she has them.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• DD, 3.5yo, has 1 pair of lace-up shoes.. They are hard to get on, but i just loosen the strings as much as i can.. I think they feel better on her feet than other shoes too because she was like look how far I can jump mommy & she things they are just great for some unknown reason lol...
    I think she will learn how to tie her shoes this winter, she is already wanting me to teach her but with it being sandal season we dont put them on nearly enough..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My kids have/had shoes with laces.  My son is almost 9 and insists on them.  He hasn't worn velcro shoes since he learned to tie at 7.  My 10 has laced shoes but still has issues tying them and will ask her brother to do it for her.  My 4yo has laced shoes but they also zip on the side (they are canvas high tops) so the laces are mostly decoration and are double knotted so they don't come undone.  My 7yo had shoes with laces but just couldn't figure out how to tie them so we went back to velcro.  She'll learn to tie when she's ready (she'll be 8 in Nov).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010