I HAVE MY GED AND WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL TO BECOME A RN. HOWEVER I DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IM GOING TO HAVE TO DO . I HAVE LOOKED IN TO SOME SCHOOLS BUT I CAN NOT FIND ANY OFFERING CLASSES TO BECOME A RN ONLY CLASSES TO FURTHER YOUR EDUCATION AFTER ARE A RN?? IM SO CONFUSED:)

bbrittney695

Asked by bbrittney695 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Health

• call your local community college most of them have two year rn programs.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 1:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Find out what the requirements are in your state. Most states require a BS in nursing (4 yr degree) and have a state board governing nursing that can tell you what colleges in your state have RN programs.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Another option (what I will be going for next fall actually) is to become an L.V.N. (licensed vocational nurse) In an area such as mine (back in the sticks) there is no huge pay difference between R.N. and L.V.N.

But yeah, try actually going to your local college and seeing what they offer, its a lot easier than trying to navigate their websites if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You might want to try calling a local hospital also. Some hospitals have their own programs. In any case they will be able to tell you the places to apply in your area. Hope this helps.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Go to your local high school and talk to the guidance counselor there. They have all the information you need.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• contact your local community college. they should offer continuing adult education courses and start you off with some basic knowledge of what types of courses you will need to even begin any classes associated with nursing. a two year degree may actually take you 4 with all the prerequisites. good luck.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I am an LVN and I can tell you there is a HUGE pay difference in an LVN and an RN. Do not do an ADN (2 yr program) Go all the way. Start at your local commm. college. get all your basics down. Then you can tranfer to finish you BSN. Go for it. I was stupid and gave up a 4 yr scholarship to nursing school to get married. I dont regret my marriage..but I do regret not waiting. I had to wait until my youngest started school and then go to school for LVN because that was all we could affrod at the time. The only reason I have not pursued my RN is because I now have medical issues that prevent me from working fulltime. GO FOR IT
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I live in Kennesaw and you could go to North Metro for the General classes and then apply at Kennesaw State or Georgia Highlands... Ga highlands has the 2 year associates degree... I was thinking about doing this myself.. GoodLuck!
    Brookes_Mommy

Answer by Brookes_Mommy at 4:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• At the school I went to, Fresno State University, they have a 4 year Bachelor's Degree program for RN. So I'd look at a 4 year college, or a community college then transfer over to the 4 year.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Have you looked in to LPN? Lots of schools offer night classes for PN, then you can do a "bridge" program for RN if you want to. Good luck!
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008