baby carseat plez read

ok i wanted to know if you can still use a carseat without the base or will they not let you take the baby home without the base cuz u have a carseat they gave me like old schoolish and it didnt come with a base

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you dont have to use a base. some small cars wont fit anyways.
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 4:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• no you don't have to even have a base!
    they are only for added convenience for the parents. I actually hated the base until they were older because it leaned them to much and they kept slouching in the seat and just looked pitiful.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Are you talking about a convertible seat, or an infant seat without a base? And if it's old, you should make sure it's not expired or recalled. If it's used, unless you know the history of the seat, you should NOT use it. (ex. has it ever been in an accident, have the straps been submerged in water...etc)

Most infant seats can be used with or without a base, but some require the base. If you are talking about a convertible seat, as long as the baby fits in it properly, you can use it from usually about 5 lbs on.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't use an old seat. It's probably expired and out of date. Out of date seats are illegal where I live. Some can be used with out the base but you need to read the directions on how to install. Does your hospital do car seat vouchers? Ours does. It might be worth looking into.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 4:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I WOULD NEVER USE AN OLD SEAT!!!! this can be very dangerous. please get a new seat. you do not know the history on it. this is your BABYS SAFETY!!! and i just learned that the 5 point harness should only have about two fingers of slack in between your baby's chest and the harness. anything more and your baby could slip out in a collision.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 4:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• What kind of seat is it? There should either be a date of manufacture (DOM) or do not use after date stamped INTO the plastic on the bottom somewhere. Honestly, I would not use this seat since I do not know how it was treated, if it's been compromised, there is no base with it, it's missing pieces, ect. I would not consider it to be safe. Can you take some pictures of it and send to me? I might be able to tell you a bit more if I saw it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• its cuz my aunt gave it to me and idk where she got it from it was suppose to be for her sons girlfriends baby and she gave it to me and i did wanna be mean im a first time mom an no idk the hitsory on it thats why im askin yall
    senior_2OO8

Answer by senior_2OO8 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'm glad you messaged me, it's good to be informed on the ins and outs of carseat safety. It can be a bit confusing. I'll help you the best I can, and point you in the right direction if I can't help. It's a simple enough fix: "I feel more comfortable using a seat that is new/I picked out for her/not expired/etc". Blame it on pregnancy hormones or new mom jitters, whatever you want, just make sure you get a safe seat for your baby.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If the seat is old, than it may be expired. If it is expired it is unsafe and should not be used. The expiration date should be printed on the seat. Or, if there is no expiration date on it, you will find the manufacture date on it. If it was 6 years or over that it was made, its expired. But to answer the question, the seat does not have to have a base.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree with Krysta - - let you aunt know that while you appreciate the gesture, you don't feel right about using the seat, and then blame it on any number of things - hormones are always good :) or tell her that you took it the fire station or police station to have it installed and they told you it wasn't safe. Whatever you need to say. Then buy a new seat for baby - - there's a car seat safety group on CM with some ladies who can help you find seats based on size of car and budget :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2010