Help with head lice....

3 girls all with below shoulder (oldest two) to below waist ( youngest) hair....not intrested in cutting their hair, just need to know how to solve the problem . Just discovered this today and my girls are miserable...please help

VelvetDetloff

Asked by VelvetDetloff at 4:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Health

• I recently read that mayonnaise kills lice. I'm not really sure how to use it, but I'm assuming put a bunch on there and let it sit for a while.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thanks its better then shaving their heads...I will give it a try..
    VelvetDetloff

Comment by VelvetDetloff (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Tea Tree Oil is a natural pesticide... it worked better than the chemical crap on me and my sister. Mayo doesn't kill them - if you use mayo, you lather it into their hair from root to tip, cover their hair (to the scalp) with a plastic grocery bag (or some head cover that doesn't breathe) - and it suffocates the lice, the mayo loosens the nit's grip on the hair follicle and makes it easier to comb the nits out. Anyway, get some tea tree oil... works like a freakin charm, or try the mayo - it works, but its messy, nasty and stinky and will make you wish you'd gone for the lice medication instead.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• After you are done with the hair, wash all pillows, sheets and spread. then vacuum the mattress and the pillow. Vacuum all stuffed animals that they may sleep with and vacuum the bedrooms. Vacuum furniture in the house too. Put the stuffed animals in a pillow case and run it through the dryer, or put them in a plastic trash bag and leave it in there for 2 weeks. You do not want to work hard to get it out of their hair, only to have them get it again because clean up was not done properly. I had this happen to one of my students. She kept getting lice repeatedly because mom just got them out of her hair and not anything else.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I've tried mayo and it didn't work. What I use EVERY time is LiceMD. It's pesticide free so it isn't dangerous for your children. licemd.com
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Saturate the kids head, every strand of hair, in CETAPHIL. Blow it dry. The lice cannot cling to the coated hair, old lice are suffocated and eggs cannot live through the hair drying. Leave it on for at least 8 hours. Do this daily for two weeks. Hair is a lot longer to dry with the Cetaphil. Nit pick every day. Put any eggs in a plastic baggie. rinse the metal comb in alcohol. Move all stuffed animals for two weeks in bags or dry for 25 mins. Put all backpacks, coats, towels, bathrobes, blankets, sheets and PILLOWs into the dryer for 25 minutes every day. Vacuum every day, including furniture. I promise, if you do this, the lice will vanish but you have to do all of it for two weeks (14 days life cycle of a louse) from the day you find the next live lice.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thank you to all of you moms out there, i was in a panic this morning when i found out but am feeling much better now, i will deffenitly try the tea tree oil...where do i find that anyway and roughly how much does it cost? and also the mayo if needed.. I will be extra crazy about cleaning for the next couple weeks...good thing they are not back in school yet, Thanks again SO MUCH
    VelvetDetloff

Comment by VelvetDetloff (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• what and where do i find Cetaphil? iam on a very tight budget and cant pay for the headlice med shampoos, the tea tree oil is a great idea have u heard if that works??? thanks for your help :)
    VelvetDetloff

Comment by VelvetDetloff (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When my sis and I were little, we both had really long hair and also problems getting rid of the lice (the treatments didnt work) so mom used tea tree oil - so I am a testament to how well it works. We got it at a local shop where they sell essential oils (I also buy jasmine oil and vanilla oil to use in making my house smell nice, so its a one-stop-shop for me! )
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• you will have to clean the house and bedding very well or risk re-infestation.

around here, the TTO is about the same price as the treatments.
    i am sure there is SOMETHING you can go without to afford the lice treatments ( and saving yourself and other parents future stress)

mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 4:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010