Should I go pick my daughter up from camp?

She's been there for 4 days and we visited her today. She's supposed to stay there for another 4 days. Everything was great, everybody told me she was doing fine and she never asked to talk to us on the phone or ask for her parents. So when we visited today hubby asked her if she wanted us to take her home and she said no. A few hours after we left she called us and begged us to pick her up because her friend left. She's 9. Do I pick her up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would....I remember being at camp and wanting to go home and my Mom making me stay....so I know how it feels. lol
    NatesMommy118

Answer by NatesMommy118 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It would depend on several things. One is how far away she is. Another is how dependent a personality she is and whether the friend who left was one she already had or whether it is one she made at camp. I think I might just let her spend the rest of the time at the camp. It will give her an opportunity to make another friend, and she did say no to the offer to come home earlier today. I don't know what kind of camp it is, but there is a good possibility she will learn more about herself with her friend gone that she did while the friend was there.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't. She should spend the 4 more days.

Answer by Bmat at 4:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on her particular personality. Is she a fragile spirit, dependent, sensitive? If so, then maybe I would, or is she the type that needs gentle encouragement to be a joiner, or things like that? My parents made me go to camp as a kid, I knew maybe 1 person, and dreaded it, but was forced to go, and I did end up loving it and having a good time, I made friends with everyone in my cabin and made good memories. Now there was another time at one of the camps I was forced to go to, I had 1 friend and I hated every second of it, and wanted to go home. It sucked, but I lived through it. So I guess it depends, you know her best.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 4:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree with the others that said several things should be considered. If it were me and mine, no. I'd leave them there. They had the opportunity to come home when I was there and I wouldn't turn right around.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If she wants to come home, then go get her. Maybe her friend was the only one she associated with. I would if my child called me.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Can you call her camp counselor and ask how she is doing? Is her counselor aware she asked to go home and can they talk it over? If she still wants to after checking that out I think I would go get her. It might work out better when she's older.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would pick her up in a heart beat!

Answer by older at 8:22 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• lol...my son just got back from his first trip to camp last week...he's 9...he called about 3 days in and said he wanted to come home, that he was sick to his stomach. i asked him about the patches he was earning etc and his tone changed completely...i knew he was faking and told him to stick it out the last few days. i dont think its good to go rescue kids everytime, they need to learn to work through things because thats how life works.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2010