about sewing buttons back onto your man's slacks...

if my dh's buttons are constantly coming off, or if not completely, the thread shows great wear and the button hangs, would it be reasonable to assume a) he's too rough when buttoning/unbuttoning, b) there's too much tension on the thread (ie: his pants are too tight and the waistband is stressed), or both?
it doesn't matter where he purchases his pants, how much or how little the cost..they all end up with this problem, fairly quickly. my take is he needs a 36"..and he refuses to buy anything but 34".
i've sewed some back on. is there a trick?

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 4:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• as a seamstress, yes too much tension! buy him a new pair in the next size up.
    If he refuses to buy them himself, go buy a pair in the same brand as he normally wears and cut out the size tag so he can't tell LOL

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• idk, can you use a thicker thread?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My husband has the same problem! :o) So when I sew them back on or reinforce them, I use a heavy nylon "invisible" thread intended for use on winter coat buttons--the thread is much stronger than the "common" colored threads.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Forgot to add...You can also sew a LARGER button on the inside behind the outer button (sew them together), to give the outer button and thread more strength.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Or you could buy him new pants in the bigger size, take the tags off and throw them away. Just put the pants in the closet in place of the small ones. If he's anything like a typical man, he won't even notice. :-)
    Or if he says something just tell him they can't be taken back and it's either wear them or waste the money spent on them.
    My husband is the same way. He refuses to believe that he needs a bigger size. :-)
    I love the idea about the bigger button.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Mine REFUSED to believe it when he GREW from a size 36 to 38 after we had been married for 5 years. BUT one day, he was so uncomfortable that he loosened the button on his pants, after a while, he forgot he had done so, stood up and his pants started to fall off. That night we went out and bought NEW pants in a BIGGER size. No more possibilities to be embarrassed! (He is 6'6" so a 38" waist is NOT bad!!!)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 5:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I didn't read all the answers but unwaxed dental floss works very well.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Is it always the same tailor? It's also possible the button may have been sewn on too tight. How can he not notice his pants are too short? Can you look around for someone new to do his alterations? It would be worth a few more $$, seriously.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• ok..i'll try that! thicker thread and a larger button..dang, that's more work than i intended.
    either of you do call-outs? lol.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i'm not trying to bash on my man..i hate it seems that way..but dang it! he spends over $100/per on slacks/dress pants, supposedly has them tailored/hemmed(which costs extra)..and to me, they are always too tight in the waist (all 34"!), and are too short.
    good freaking goodness..i WISH i needed only one size up from my 'norm'!!
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2010