What kind of disciplining mother are you?

When I was single I used to get so mad at mother who count to three over and over again to discpiline their child instead of just whacking them. I realize now that I am a mother, I am one of those moms. I rather find other ways to dicispline.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• There are some good books out there that can help with discipline. Dr Phil's is supposedly great. Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to him, and withhold that as punishment.

Time out can be effective too. Make the length of time appropriate for his age and be consistent. Do not talk to him if you have to take him back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. For the first few times it can take a long time before he stays there. Whatever method you pick do it every time and stay consistent and stay calm. Make sure he also is getting enough one on one time with you and hubby. That he is getting praise for the things he does right. And lots of hugs and kisses.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I always do the count to three - that's their warning period. But trust me, if I hit 3, they know it! I'm very liberal in general, but when they ARE in trouble I have no issue with timeouts, spanking or whatever else it takes...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I meant to also say that we did the withholding of favorite things. Never did time out but I know moms who had great success with it.. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I am fair but firm. I have to be, because my children have Autism, and take everything I say and do very literally. They are able to "keep score" and my older one has displayed an amazing memory for past punishments. Because of this, they get PLENTY of verbal warnings, if the behavior persists it's on to time outs, then the loss of favorite toys or TV shows for days or weeks, and/or not being able to go grocery shopping with me--which they enjoy.

Of course it all depends on the infraction, and if I believe they know better than to be behaving the way they are. If they are doing something that could endanger themselves or someone else, or they are being willfully obstinate, they will get a swat on the butt. I know my children, and I know what they are capable of. I have every expectation they will be independent, integrated, productive members of society some day, and I insist that they have manners and act appropriately
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I take things away like her i-pod or psp.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I shold probably add that she asks for it over and over, but I have to keep patient throught the annoying attempts. Most of the time I just lock her stuff away and she ends up reading a book out of boredom. Our only issue is her going to bed on time.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I don't discipline. I teach and I take into account my son's age.

I follow the principles of Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort.

I don't believe kids needs discipline - generally discipline caters to behaviour with no consideration for the thoughts/feelings and age of a child.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The counting is a way to let the child straighten their act up. (What ever they are doing wrong). I never believed in it. I told my DD's once. If they did not stop what they where doing . I stoped them.

Answer by louise2 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I spanked my children and they have turned out very well. If you think of discipline as training the child to be the kind of adult you hope he will be, it makes it somewhat easier. It's still a very difficult assignment but it's also one of the most important thing you will ever do for you child. Remember the two key things you want to teach are respect for authority and instant obedience to that authority. This is the key to all of life!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would take away something they like,,
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 5:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2010