Anxiety Depression meds while prego?

So I've been on anxiety/depression meds for a while now. When I found out I was pregnant my dr and I weined myself off of them. I have been off of htem for about a month now. I couldnt take them because they were a class C and that makes me nervous. Since I've completly stopped I have been having a hard time. Ill be ok fora while then either ill be crying my eyes out or rready to rip someones face off. Unsure if its the combo that makes it very hard for me. The combo of being preg and those emotions and being without the meds. Any one else going through this or taking meds while pregnant? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't no, but my best friend did. She was on a low dose and went to a counselor every couple weeks. Baby is completely healthy and she felt much better on the pills than she did off them.

Mommy2Max217

Answer by Mommy2Max217 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I don't blame you for not wanting to take the drugs while you are carrying a baby. Could very well be harmful. This would be a wonderful time for you to deal with the sources of your anxiety and depression. Check for childhood trauma, unresolved anger, abuse of any kind, and any unmet emotional needs. When you find the source, you will probably start to feel better right away.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I am BiPolar type 2. And I was looking for a new doctor when I found out I was pregnant. I am not on meds at the moment but hope to be on some soon. If you are not getting the chemicals YOU need to keep you stable, neither is your baby, which puts her at a higher risk of developing these or similar issues down the road as well... Meds while pregnant may be scary and may be something to worry about, but long term health for you and your baby is more important... Talk to your doctor, they should be willing to get you in touch with a doctor who can work with your condition while you're pregnant. If not, then I would suggest finding a new doctor... I hate to say it, but both depression and anxiety can turn dangerous and deadly while pregnant (or any time when the body is under stress) and your doctor should understand that...

Best of luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• omg i feel so so sorry for you..i was like this before my pregnancy but i never took any meds but after my delivery it got 10 times worse and i had to get help before i went off on someone...i know that sounds harsh but its really like that...i take buspar..and it works very well..maybe its something you can take while preggo it does not have any side effects other than it helps you deal with things better..i wouldnt take anything after i was ok with the dr bc i didnt want to give something to the baby bc of breastfeeding...good luck and believe me you are not alone
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 7:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I quit taking my meds when I found out I was pregnant. It was the WORST mistake I could have made. I waited until 20 weeks to go back on them and I should have never stayed off of them that long. My Dr. finally explained it to me that hte baby is in a better environment when I am not anxious or depressed so it is better for both of us for me to take them. I hope you can get back on something.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I went two months without my meds. I was emotionally a roller coaster. I asked the dr what would be safe. She put me on welbutrin. It helps but I cant wait to have baby and get back on prozac!
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010