how much should the almost 13 month old be nursing?

she still prefers nursing to meals

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 5:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son didn't really take to food until around 14 months. Before that he was eating now and then but really predominantly breastfed.

It is normal for a child to breastfeed a lot well into the second year.

In your case, many mothers experience this so I wouldn't worry.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My 15 month old still prefers BM to table foods on some days, and some days he prefers table food to BM. It's normal, especially if you have been nursing on demand. When LO isn't feeling well or needs extra comfort, they will want to nurse more. Just make sure she is getting the regular food requirements for her age, and you're all set. Good for you for nursing past 1 year!
    lalalabanana

Answer by lalalabanana at 5:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• As often as they want! Personally my first weaned at 18 months because I was pregnant and he said it tasted yucky and was not a big food eater until right before then either. My second though nursed until 35 months and was a huge eater around 15 months old. So my theory is as much as they want or both mom and babe are comfortable with. At this age though it is not as important to offer the breast first and then food though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My 13 mo old still nurses a good 8 or more times in 24 hours. Babies are really good at getting what you need. Follow your baby's lead and you almost can't go wrong! Lots of kids still get mostly BM until closer to 2 yrs. There is no research that suggests restricting breastfeeding will get them to eat more "real food". All you will do is take away a really good nutrient and calorie dense food.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• As often as they want. Offer solids first then the breast. Here's an excerpt from kellymom.com:
    Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child - there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.
    You can read the whole article here
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My children usually were starting wean from BM about this time, so they were mostly nursing at night and eating or drinking from the table during the day.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2010